Wowza Community

RTMPS recording much slower than via RTMP

We use HDFVR to record videos. When we use RTMPS instead of RTMP, the time it requires to upload the video to the server is almost 10 times slower than uploading it via RTMP. Also, playing a video is much faster than recording it. Our observations are roughly as follows:

• RTMPS recording is almost 10x slower than RTMP recording

• RTMP recording is 5x slower than RTMPS playing

• RTMPS playing is 1.5x slower than RTMP playing

We use Wowza, HDFVR and jwPlayer. In any of these scenarios, the load of the server is moderate, so that can’t be the issue.

Any idea what’s going on here?

Thanks!

Hi

I’m not sure if this is a HDFVR problem (I haven’t tested it), Wowza has its own recording functionality called live-record.

To use this set the to “live-record” in the [Wowza-install]/conf/Application.xml which by default will record the incoming stream to the [Wowza-install]/content/ directory.

Wowza also has a free recording AddOn with more functionality which can be found here,

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-record-live-streams-httplivestreamrecord

You can then play the recorded files from the content directory using a video on demand application.

If you experience the same problems with Wowza’s recordings then please let us know.

Jason

Hi

I’m going to look into this further but from my understanding a live-record will record the stream while playing the live stream (as its coming in live) so a stream that lasts 30 seconds should take 30 seconds to record regardless of protocol being used.

When the live stream stops the stream will finish recording and the file should be instantly available to play.

OS should also not make a difference to the above procedure.

Keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Jason

I’ve tried live-record and it seems to make it a little better. What is really strange is that the hdfvr recording on windows and mac show dramatically different upload times. For a 30 second video with 640x480@30fps and H246 codec, it takes the mac 0s (RTMP recording), 0s (RTMP live-recording), 40s (RTMPS recording), 30s (RTMPS live-recording) for the upload after the recording process has finished. On windows, it takes 15s, 10s, 3m, 3m.

This is really strange. CPU load on both the clients and the server are very low. Bandwidth should not be an issue either. Where could be the problem?