Thread: stuttering/pausing stream

Default stuttering/pausing stream

Hi guys, I have a certain video which seems to be giving some issues where it plays for about a minute and then the video freezes but the time counter in jwplayer continues on. I have played the encodes locally using mplayer and I don't see any issues but always seem to see issues when playing with Wowza. Can I PM you a link to the video which has a link to a zip with the video files? Maybe it's some encoding setting I've used...

The server is a VM running 3.1.2, has 1GB memory, is 64-bit, and has a 100Mbps link to the internet. This is a development machine so has no other streams playing

Gavin

Gavin,

What is the bitrate of that video, is it very high compared to your other videos? Calculate avg bitrate this way:

kilobytes on disk * 8 / duration in seconds = kilobits per second

Is it perhaps a fragmented mp4 file? FMLE records these, and Expression Encoder Silverlight encoding path does too. Wowza supports these files but they have higher overhead.

Richard

The video is encoded at 1Mbps and has a 512 and a 256 kbps version in a bitrate switching playlist.

I can play higher bitrate videos without any problems so am thinking it's the encoding with this particular video.

Is there a way I can privately give you the link to have a quick look? Or is there any tool you can recommend for me to spot any potential issues with the encodes?

I'm not sure what I could do with it. Can you start over with this set?

Richard

Hi Richard,

I've tried re-encoding and it doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. I'm using encoding.com and have tried using similar settings as described here (at least the ones which look like they could make a difference): http://www.encoding.com/using_wowza_media_server

My settings for an example encode are:
    <output>mp4</output>
    <video_codec>libx264</video_codec>
    <size>640x0</size>
    <profile>baseline</profile>
    <bitrate>448k</bitrate>
    <maxrate>512k</maxrate>
    <audio_bitrate>64k</audio_bitrate>
    <audio_sample_rate>48000</audio_sample_rate>
    <keyframe>48</keyframe>
    <video_codec>libx264</video_codec>
    <framerate>24</framerate>
    <VCodecParameters>no</VCodecParameters>
    <audio_codec>libfaac</audio_codec>
    <two_pass>yes</two_pass>
    <deinterlacing>no</deinterlacing>
    It just seems weird that I can play the files fine using a player like mplayer, but Wowza seems to have a problem with the video. There doesn't seem to be any problem with other videos I have encoded so I'm not sure what the best next step is to debug this and get it working, and to avoid running into this problem again in the future (or at least know how to troubleshoot)?

Thanks,
    Gavin

Gavin,

I can try that video. Copy it to your web server and send a link to download it to support@wowza.com. Include a link to this thread for reference.

Also, take a look at this guide, try Expression 4 Encoder (recommended) or FFmpeg
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....demand-content

Richard

Thanks Richard, I've sent an email.

I'll look into Expression 4 and using FFmpeg

Gavin

Thanks for the help on this, turned out to be my error.

Gavin

Welcome, glad I could help

Richard