Thread: RTP First Play Stops

Default RTP First Play Stops

Hi,

Having a problem with RTP playback with the vod app. Every time a play a video, it seems to connect, initiate playing, but then stop after quite a few seconds, then connect again and start playing properly immediately. Log ...

INFO rtsp connect 1403453896 -
    INFO stream create - -
    INFO rtsp describe 1403453896 -
    INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.bind[vod/_definst_]: in:0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6970 out:/xx.xx.xxx.xx:49502
    INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.bind[vod/_definst_]: in:0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6971 out:/xx.xx.xxx.xx:49503
    INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.bind[vod/_definst_]: in:0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6972 out:/xx.xx.xxx.xx:49504
    INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.bind[vod/_definst_]: in:0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6973 out:/xx.xx.xxx.xx:49505
    INFO stream play XXXXX.mp4 -
    INFO rtsp play 1403453896 -
    ***** NOTE it pauses here for a few seconds, then continues with the following
    INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.unbind[vod/_definst_]: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6970 sent:178 recv:0
    INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.unbind[vod/_definst_]: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6971 sent:4 recv:0
    INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.unbind[vod/_definst_]: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6972 sent:396 recv:0
    INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.unbind[vod/_definst_]: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6973 sent:4 recv:0
    INFO stream stop XXXXX.mp4 -
    INFO stream destroy XXXXX.mp4 -
    INFO rtsp disconnect 1403453896 -
    INFO rtsp connect 1306031119 -
    INFO stream create - -
    INFO rtsp describe 1306031119 -
    INFO stream play XXXXX.mp4 -
    INFO rtsp play 1306031119 -
    ***** NOTE the video is now playing

I've tried adding in my own module and logging lots of information out, but it's not showing up what the issue might be.

I've tried playing the video from android and from VLC - same thing happens.

When I try playing the same video via Cupertino (from iPhone) rather than RTP then it starts to play straight away without following the same pattern.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers
    Wayne

Wonder if my problem is caused because UDP ports might not be open, and it's failing over to using TCP - i'll get that checked and report back.

Wayne

That's what it looks like

Richard

Update on this - the problem was caused by the UDP ports not being open - all sorted now.

Did try searching the forum beforehand, but not really sure what to search for and didn't find anything - of course i can find various posts about it now!

Thanks for your reply Richard.

Wayne

Further update ...

I've been trying this now using various mobile networks (i'm in the UK). When on Vodafone, it appears to do the same as reported in my first post, and when on Orange it does the same, but it doesn't start playing after the initial failure. Any idea why this might be? Mobile networks blocking some UDP ports?

We tried the test video at http://www.wowza.com/html/mobile.html on both Vodafone and Orange and the video played in both instances, which suggests that Orange aren't blocking ports, or that the server on which that test is running is setup differently to ours.

When I try on Vodafone, and I get the same as shown in post 1, after the initial RTPUDPTransport.bind and subsequent RTPUDPTransport.unbind, there are no more RTPUDPTransport.bind calls logged even though the video does start playing - does this suggest it isn't using UDP when it retries?

Thanks

Right, some players, like VLC, will fail-over to TCP. Most or all Android devices are not able to failover. In VLC there is 5 or 10 second start time while this happens, then you will see two sets of audio and video codec info blocks in Tools > Codec Info.

Richard

Thanks Richard - so it looks like i've got a player on my Android handset that is failing-over to TCP, but then we have other Android handsets where it doesn't fail-over.

Do you have any thoughts as to why, when running over a mobile network, we can play your test mobile stream, but we can't play ours, but then on wifi on the same device then our stream plays fine?

Wayne

Wayne,

It is probably UDP ports. As you point out, some devices do not fail-over to TCP, so they won't work if the UDP ports they are trying to stream through are blocked

Richard