Thread: Are 4 to 8 realtime voice chat members realistic?

Default Are 4 to 8 realtime voice chat members realistic?

Hi Folk,

I'm just posting a little sanity check here before I go too headlong along a direction that I'm pursuing.

It seems to me realistic based on my previous experience with flash media server that doing a voice chat room with 4 to 8 real time participants should work without a lot of echo and interference noise, at the very least if using the flash client side echo cancellation and the users of the app have proper headphone/mic setups, but I'd love a little sanity check from folk who have tried this and seen it actually work in practice.

I've certainly heard secondhand reports of red 5 not being able to reliably do this and I assume that wowza will be able to do it well, but if anyone has real experience with this I'd appreciate any confidence boosters as to whether this should be 1) a snap, 2) doable with some work or 3) fairly tricky above some number of voice streams or after some period of time.

Thanks for any help, advice or tips!

-Cort

Hi
    Just to confirm this is a realistic goal for your project using Wowza.
    If you have the bandwidth at the end user side for the audio streams and your customers are using headsets and mics then you should have a smooth stream.

The bandwidth usage for 8 people in a chat room with a 64kbps audio stream will be:
    64kbps upstream and 448kbps downstream.

You can use a free trial of Wowza (if you haven't had one already) to get this tested this before it is launched which can be found here,
    http://www.wowza.com/pricing/trial

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    Hi
    Just to confirm this is a realistic goal for your project using Wowza.
    If you have the bandwidth at the end user side for the audio streams and your customers are using headsets and mics then you should have a smooth stream.

The bandwidth usage for 8 people in a chat room with a 64kbps audio stream will be:
    64kbps upstream and 448kbps downstream.

You can use a free trial of Wowza (if you haven't had one already) to get this tested this before it is launched which can be found here,
    http://www.wowza.com/pricing/trial

Jason
    Thanks Jason, that's really a great help!

Thanks also, for the bandwidth detail. That will help in estimating costs.