Thread: minPlaylistChunkCount

1. Default minPlaylistChunkCount

About the new minPlaylistChunkCount property for 3.5, based on the documentation in the changelog I expected the property to prevent wowza from serving up the chunklist until there are at least as many segments for the stream as defined in the property value, but I'm finding that Wowza will still serve the chunklist even if there are fewer segments available (I set for 3, but I still get a chunklist with 1 segment in the list).

Am I misunderstanding the expected results? I've tried adding the property in both the LiveStreamPacketizer/properties node in my application.xml, as well as in LiveStreamPacketizers.xml, but none seem to have the effect I was expecting. I also tried the HTTPStreamer/properties node in my application.xml just in case there was an error in the documentation, but no love there either.

Ideas?

Thanks,
    Jay

Jay,

Was it the last or only chunk in that case?

Richard

3. Default

In this case, it's the only chunk

In this particular use case, the startup process is initiated by the edge server. When an HLS client connects, the edge starts pulling a live stream from the origin (using liverepeater-edge and liverepeater-origin). When the origin starts up, it starts a server side stream for the repeater, and begins playing a file on the stream (when an encoder connects to the origin, the source is switched on that server side stream). As soon as the edge has the first chunk, the chunklist is served to the client.

The end result is that for the first few minutes of streaming, there can be little pauses between segments on the client side, so it would be great if I can have wowza wait until there are at least a couple of chunks to serve before the chunklist goes out.

Are you setting minPlaylistChunkCount on the origin or edge Application.xml?

Richard

5. Default

Tried both, and did tests with the property present on both apps, and on each separately. None seemed to have any effect.

Okay, I will forward, get back to you.

Richard

7. Default

Thanks for looking into it.

Jay,

The correct property name is "cupertinoMinPlaylistChunkCount". It should do what you are expecting.

Sorry for the confusion, docs updated.

Richard

9. Default

Nice one... that did the trick. Thanks again Richard

Cool, welcome. Thanks for the update

Richard