Thread: Temporarily Disable EDGE Capabilities

Default Temporarily Disable EDGE Capabilities

The Amazon EC2 for Wowza Server 2 Forum seems to have disappeared, so hopefully it's okay to ask here (it may not be version-specific)...

I have an ORIGIN-EDGE server (Amazon EC2 - Wowza 2.x). I have it set up for load balancing and all works well. I start up EDGE servers as needed (usually once or twice a week). The ORGIN-EDGE is currently a "small" Amazon instance.

We are going to have a new stream that plays once a week, where we expect to have 500 - 1000 viewers to a live webcast (actually, it's just "simulated" live, as I'm using stream class to play the .mp4 files at a specific time from the ORIGIN).

I want to know if it is possible to temporarily take the "EDGE" part of the ORIGIN-EDGE out of the "load balancing" equation -- just for this one broadcast. In other words -- is there a change I can make in any of the files on the conf directory to disable the "EDGE" capabilities of this server until I want to change it back?

The problem I see is that the ORIGIN-EDGE can get easily overloaded if we have too many viewers. For example -- if I launch one additional EDGE server it will take about five connection requests before the load balancer starts to used the ORGIN-EDGE for part of the stream distribution. In our situation, we're going to launch a bunch of EDGE servers (maybe 10, or more small instances, just to be safe)... but I want to insure that the ORIGIN only distributes the stream to those EDGE servers and doesn't act like an EDGE itself.

If there is a text or .xml file, or similar, that I can easily edit (and then reboot the server) it would be great.

This is going to be a weekly broadcast, so I'd like to find a solution that doesn't require me to launch a whole new ORIGIN-only server each week... but if that's my only option, then so be it.

Thanks for any insight you can provide on this.

Are you using wowza dynamic load balancer ? Of me, i just edit the load balancer ip/elastic ip in the listening edge.

Say you have 10 edges, how you client connect to the 10 edges ? Using Amazon load balancer ?

I am using Wowza Dynamic Load Balancer.

So... you're saying I should open the "Application.xml" inside the EDGE application (liverepeater-edge) and change IP address for the following:

<Repeater>
    <originURL>rtmp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1935/liveedge</originURL>
    <QueryString><![CDATA[]]></QueryString>
    </Repeater>

Is that what you're suggesting? If that works -- very clever, and exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to go test that right after our current broadcast is over.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by davidlgood View Post
    I am using Wowza Dynamic Load Balancer.

So... you're saying I should open the "Application.xml" inside the EDGE application (liverepeater-edge) and change IP address for the following:

<Repeater>
    <originURL>rtmp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1935/liveedge</originURL>
    <QueryString><![CDATA[]]></QueryString>
    </Repeater>

Is that what you're suggesting? If that works -- very clever, and exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to go test that right after our current broadcast is over.

Thanks!!
    I was referring to this : http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?108

Default Solution Found

Yes. I have the Dynamic Load Balancing setup in place -- and it works great.

Your prior post made me go back and re-read the instructions included with the Load Balancer setup... and from there I quickly realized how I could accomplish what I was looking for -- so thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

I simply opened the "Server.xml" file on the "conf" directory and commented out the following:

<ServerListener>
    	<BaseClass>com.wowza.wms.plugin.loadbalancer.ServerListenerLoadBalancerSender</BaseClass>
    </ServerListener>
    I think commented out the following properties in that same .xml file:

<Property>
    	<Name>loadBalancerSenderTargetPath</Name>
    	<Value>${com.wowza.wms.AppHome}/conf/loadbalancertargets.txt</Value>
    </Property>
    <Property>
    	<Name>loadBalancerSenderRedirectAddress</Name>
    	<Value>[redirect-address]</Value>
    </Property>
    <Property>
    	<Name>loadBalancerSenderMonitorClass</Name>
    	<Value>com.wowza.wms.plugin.loadbalancer.LoadBalancerMonitorDefault</Value>
    </Property>
    <Property>
    	<Name>loadBalancerSenderMessageInterval</Name>
    	<Value>2500</Value>
    	<Type>Integer</Type>
    </Property>
    I restarted the server, and it now ignores the "EDGE" on the ORIGIN server and only distributes/load balances to the other EDGE-only servers that I launched. NICE!! Now I'll easily be able to switch my server between an ORIGIN-EDGE configuration and an ORIGIN-only configuration without having to launch and configure a whole new server just for this once-per-week event.

Thanks again for your time and effort in responding to my question. Really saved me a lot of effort.
    Last edited by davidlgood; 11-12-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Solution Found

David,

Also take a look at this module:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....itConnections)

And there is a way to stop an edge from accepting new connections using JMX/JConsole. The LB doc has details.

Richard

Richard

Thanks for responding to this. I guess I've been up WAY too many hours over the past week -- I totally overlooked the whole JConsole option. Mainly because I've never used it. I installed JDK and opened JConsole and it seems that I simply go to the MBeans tab, look in the "LoadBalancer" folder at the "LoadBalancerSender" and, under "Operations" click on "pause". This provides me with a "pause" button -- assuming I just click on that and it will stop any 'new' connections to that server (EDGE)... and then I can use the "unpause" to reactivate it. This is VERY nice, as it doesn't require me to shuffle files over FTP and restart the server.

THANK YOU for taking the time to bring that up here. It's people like you that make Wowza such a great product/company -- especially for people like me, who are just amateur hacks but who are learning every day. The more we learn, the more we use the product and recommend it to others/clients... so it's a "win" for everyone.

David L Good

David,

Thank you, for the kind words. Very glad I could help.

Richard