Thread: Upgrade 3.1 to 3.5

Default Upgrade 3.1 to 3.5

Has anyone done the upgrade from 3.1.2 to 3.5.0 with the WowzaMediaServer-3.0.x-3.5.0 package? Just stop the server, copy the relevant files over remake any config files that were overwritten and restart the server? Would this be painless or should I re-install the whole thing? Can I keep my application configuration files?
    Thanks for any experience or guidance.

Barry Bernard

I did it and it broke literly everything. my smil playlist are not working and I gotta start from scratch. my recommendation If you do not need a specific thing in the update dont do it yet...

There is an upgrade guide here:

Im Getting this????

ERROR server comment - ServerUtils.loadServerListener: Error creating <ServerListener> (com.wowza.wms.plugin.collection.serverlistener.ServerListenerStreamPublisher): java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.wowza.wms.plugin.collection.serverlistener.ServerListenerStreamPublisher

I did in fact see the upgrade guide but I found it to be slightly ambiguous. It does recommend uninstalling the old version of wowza and then installing the new one. It also states:
    "but do not copy configuration files from your Wowza Media Server 2 installation to Wowza Media Server 3.5. Unexpected behavior may result when using older configuration files"
    But... I am not upgrading from 2, I am upgrading from 3.1.2. Are my configuration files still outdated? Not sure. Then I ran across this document here:

including this text and link to a recommended update:

"Upgrade from Wowza Media Server 3.0.x

Download and install the following patch. It will upgrade Wowza Media Server 3.x.x to 3.5.0

Upgrade from Earlier Versions of Wowza Media Server

See the following article:
    Wowza Media Server 3 Upgrade Guide"

Making it appear to me that the upgrade guide linked to in the previous post is only for "earlier versions of Wowza Media Server"

And here are the instructions from the read me inside of

"Version: Wowza Media Server 3.0.x-3.5.0

Copy contents (not the entire folder just the contents) of following
    folders to the corresponding [install-dir] folder and remake any configuration
    changes (empty folders indicate no changes for that folder):

Remove the following files which have been replaced by newer versions:

WARNING: Be sure to delete wms-transport-security.jar from the [install-dir]/lib folder.
    This .jar file no longer ships with the Wowza Media Server but is rather delivered as
    part of the RTMPE AddOn. See for more information.

[install-dir] for each platform:

Windows (default): C:\Program Files (x86)\Wowza Media Systems\Wowza Media Server [version]
    OSX: /Library/WowzaMediaServer
    Linux, Unix, Solaris: /usr/local/WowzaMediaServer

Wowza Media Server 3.5.0 build2989

Release Notes:"

I'm thinking at this point that it's not a good idea to do it that way.

Things could be clearer.

Barry Bernard

Wowza Media Server 3.5 includes new features which has resulted in changes to Application.xml, such as Closed Captioning. We do not recommend copying over old configuration files because you will not have the latest default properties in place, and it is a good idea to be deliberate about any customized configuration. If you are a current 3.1.2 user and are upgrading to 3.5, I would suggest you use your current Application.xml as a guide and edit the 3.5 version of the Application.xml to enable new features such as Closed Captioning. If you do not want to go through the install process, you can use the upgrade patch to go from 3.0.x to 3.5. If you copy over your previous configuration files and do not plan to use new features, previous functionality will still work.

Somehow I get the feeling I will be best off with the uninstall old-install new approach and remake all my config files. It's just been a couple of months since I installed and hope to remember everything I need to do in changing config files. Thanks Lisa and Richard for your help.