Thread: Upload Numbers

Default Upload Numbers

Hi - I have seen the numbers on the wowza site + forums and they all are related to the output streaming. I am looking for some numbers for the following -

Upload @ 350 kbps, 1 min video - How many concurrent users can upload video at this rate ? Do you have some data ?

Thanks,
    Kanwar

Kanwar,

You will have to test, but this is usually limited by cpu and ram, and is much more limited than outgoing streams which are limited by bandwidth usually. We don't have tool for testing this or any benchmark testing. A very robust server should handle 100+ live streams concurrently. We recommend a late model dual quad cpu, with 8g ram+, 64bit OS and Java JDK.

Richard

Thanks Richard. So it is only a function of CPU and RAM..Assuming no transcoding of-course.

Yes, usually.

Richard

Richard - One more question - would it be better to record and upload files directly or stream them to wowza and then record ? Is the performance better while streaming or doing a upload ?

Hi
    Its personal preference, I personally would record the files and then upload them to Wowza but it doesn't make much difference in this scenario.
    You will also need some fast disks to wright the data if Wowza is recording all these streams and or your customers are uploading a lot to your server.

It will be faster to upload the data because it can go as fast as it can rather than at the viewing speed and its unlikely that you will have everyone upload at the same time.

Jason

Hi
    Another thing to note as you mentioned the transcoder, if you upload a file you cant transcode it to lower bitrates.
    Transcoding can only be done when streaming to Wowza.

I though it was worth a pointing out as you mentioned the transcoder.

Jason