Thread: Origin Server Single Point Failure

Default Origin Server Single Point Failure

Hi all,

We are planning to implement multiple Wowza servers with one Origin and several Edge servers and I followed the guide here
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....er-Quick-Start

According to the instructions, I didnt see any connection between Origin and Edge Servers in terms of IP address. Does it mean that the Edge servers blindly pull any stream published by other servers in the same network?

Furthermore, the stream URL for the test on Edge server is
    Server: rtmp://[wowza-edge-address]:1935/liveedge
    Stream: rtmp://[wowza-origin-address]:1935/liveorigin/_definst_/myStream.
    Does it mean that the stream served by Origin or Edge one?

We are also planning to implement high-availability for the system but the traditional design here doesnt meet this requirement as the whole system could be unavailable if the unique Origin server fails. Do you have any suggestions here? Do we have buy one more separate Origin server and related encoders?

Thank you,

Please read the whole article, put it together and try it out. There is a security section, and a fail-over technique is described.

Richard

I did try it and it worked fine but my concern is about how and where the stream served? Because from the client site, we still have to fill in the stream info of Origin server so Im not sure if Origin or Edge server provide it (Or Edge serve pull from Origin and serve the Client). If the next client request comes for the same stream, does the Edge have to pull additional stream from the next or it reuse the previous one?. (Obviously, the second client also has to fill the stream info of Origin server as the first one).

The explanation of this workflow could explain me if the Origin really share the workload with the repeater or not. So pls help me b4 implementing.

About Failover, I understand the article but my question is according to the high availability of the whole system. Do we have to duplicate everything we had? All the encoders and origin servers must be x2?????

Use the Wowza Load Balancer to distribute connections:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....alancing-AddOn

Edge's re-stream from origin. This is how to scale live stream delivery

For failover, of course you have to provide a backup origin. A backup encoder is up to you, there is nothing built-in to Wowza to failover to different encoder

Richard