Thread: It take 10+ seconds to start playing vod f4v h.264/mp3 files

Default It take 10+ seconds to start playing vod f4v h.264/mp3 files

Is it normal for Wowza to take about 10 seconds to open a vod f4v (h.264/mp3) file? The file is created by Adobe Encoder during a live stream. The vod f4v (h.264/acc), mp4, flv and mp3 files open instantly without delays.

Hi
    I think this is probably due to the file having a fragmented index.
    Wowza has to search through the file for all the index fragmentss before the file can play so if they are scattered throughout the file it will take longer to find them all.
    Most mp4 files have the index at the start of the file which is why there is less delay.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    Hi
    I think this is probably due to the file having a fragmented index.
    Wowza has to search through the file for all the index fragmentss before the file can play so if they are scattered throughout the file it will take longer to find them all.
    Most mp4 files have the index at the start of the file which is why there is less delay.

Jason
    Thank you for the help. I tested with smaller file and it worked ok, so it looks like an index fragmentation issue. I will see if there is a way to have the index file created at the start of the file.

Hi
    Thanks for the update.

I think you can get a configuration tool to build the files with the index at the start.
    I've not tested it so not sure how effective it is but you can get it from here,
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mp4box

This is not supported by Wowza and I'm afraid you'll have to do all the leg work (reading up on reviews, etc) yourself.

Jason

Smile

Jason,

Thank you for the link. I will try the software because it has command line options, so I can use the command in a script. I was able to get around the problem by passing the video through Anusoft video converter. It kept the original quality video and indexed the file correctly.

Thanks for helping resolve this issue.

Slav
    Last edited by bethanysmc; 12-02-2012 at 01:31 AM.