Thread: ffmpeg encoding to wowza with multiple files

Default ffmpeg encoding to wowza with multiple files

Hello,

We're just getting started testing Wowza and haven't seem to found a solution to this yet.

We have a variety of movies in various formats. We use ffmpeg to encode these to mp4. Currently, we wait until the encoding is complete, in order to play them through JWPlayer.

We'd like to have wowza read the MP4 output from ffmpeg to play while encoding. I've seen examples for live streaming, but it doesn't seem to address how to handle multiple files on demand. We may have 100 or 1000 ffmpeg commands running for individual files, each one would need a unique URL from Wowza, which ideally we would define in our ffmpeg command, by parameter or something?

Any suggestions/documents or comments that might get us on the right path.

Thanks!
    Last edited by dbm360; 11-22-2012 at 09:50 PM.

There is not a way to have Wowza stream an MP4 output from ffmpeg while encoding as far as I know.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    There is not a way to have Wowza stream an MP4 output from ffmpeg while encoding as far as I know.

Richard
    Ah okay thanks. Is there an alternative or recommended method to achieve the same goal? or what do most people do to solve this problem?

Thanks!

For purely vod delivery you just have to finish encoding.

Richard

Richard's correct about true VOD delivery.

However, you can get something useful with a live stream. If you have your ffmpeg command output to a FLV container instead of MP4, you could run a second ffmpeg command to simply send that in-progress FLV file to Wowza as a RTMP live stream. No seeking is possible, of course, but this should work for monitoring/previewing the transcode process. Obviously this method is most useful when transcoding live stream inputs. The nice thing about it is you can use the same encoding settings, just changing the container (MP4 to FLV), and there is no additional transcoding necessary beyond your original transcode, so the CPU usage is minimal.

If you did this with the Wowza nDVR add-on, in theory client viewers could pause/rewind/fast forward through your "live" transcoding stream too:
    http://www.wowza.com/addons/wowza-ndvr-addon

Again, seems more useful with actual live streams rather than transcoded VOD streams, but I'm not sure of your particular needs here.