Thread: USE MY OWN SSL CERT VS RTMPE AddOn - which is faster - this question is about speed

Default USE MY OWN SSL CERT VS RTMPE AddOn - which is faster - this question is about speed

USE MY OWN SSL CERT VS RTMPE AddOn

which is faster - this question is about speed only

Hi,

Both RTMPE and SSL certificates, so HTTPS, use similar amounts of CPU, SSL Certificate may be slightly more, although for throughput once the stream has started and the negotiation of the certificate/RTMPE parameters has occured throughput (so speed) will be the same.

You would need to do your own testing to get a 100% guide as to the different between RMPTE and SSL Certificates has on your CPU, but this was not your question but adding this comment as guidance.

Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_k View Post
    Hi,

Both RTMPE and SSL certificates, so HTTPS, use similar amounts of CPU, SSL Certificate may be slightly more, although for throughput once the stream has started and the negotiation of the certificate/RTMPE parameters has occured throughput (so speed) will be the same.

You would need to do your own testing to get a 100% guide as to the different between RMPTE and SSL Certificates has on your CPU, but this was not your question but adding this comment as guidance.

Andrew.
    am i mistaken? your new RTMPE add-on is the same thing as me using RTMPE before your new RTMPE add-on existed....but just using my own ssl cert for RTMPE. so not HTTPS...

Hi,

Perhaps there is some confusion here.

RTMPE does not use SSL certificates
    StreamLock/HTTPS/RTMPS does use SSL certificates

In order maintain seperation between RTMPE and SSL certificates, RTMPE ships as an AddOn and is not available by default any longer in Wowza, so 3.5 or higher.

Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_k View Post
    Hi,

Perhaps there is some confusion here.

RTMPE does not use SSL certificates
    StreamLock/HTTPS/RTMPS does use SSL certificates

In order maintain seperation between RTMPE and SSL certificates, RTMPE ships as an AddOn and is not available by default any longer in Wowza, so 3.5 or higher.

Andrew.
    I see. well we have streamlock and its made the videos quite slower. is there any trick to bringing it back to pre-streamlock speed?

We have:

CPU: Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1220V2 (8M Cache, 3.10 GHz)
    RAM: 24 GB DDR3 ECC
    Hard Drive: 4x SATA3 2000.00 GB (Raid 10)
    CentOS 6.3 64bit

UPDATE, actually, we were using RTMPS via our own ssl cert so i posted wrong earlier, sorry about that. and streamlock replaced that. but the real issue now is streamlock made the videos quite slower
    Last edited by bobmane; 11-25-2012 at 09:16 AM.

I would make sure you have tuned the correct Port in use, as if you have just uncommented the 443 section of the VHost.xml then you may not have applied the tuning for the number of CPUs you have

See the tuning guide here

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....general-tuning

The negotiation of a certificate should not add any significant overhead, so I suspect other things may also be contributing to a significant slowdown.

Andrew.