Thread: Upgrading from 3.x to 3.5

Default Upgrading from 3.x to 3.5

There's some stuff on the Wowza site about upgrading from 3.x to 3.5, notably: http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?321

This basically says, "Yes, it works."

There's other "patches" that involve unzipping files and overwriting things, which I'm not comfortable with.

My understanding of how package managers work is that unzipping files would cause issues with later deinstallation, which would cause issues with upgrading, etc.

That same understanding leads me to believe that if I just take the new Wowza 3.5.0 RPM and install it, it will remove all the install files (NOT the data files--license, configuration, etc) and replace them with new ones (RPM should leave the configuration files, but add default configurations as foo.config.rpmnew next to them).

Has anyone tried this? Will it work? I'm suspicious because it's not listed as an upgrade path and it's perfectly possible to write post-install scripts that intentionally break the package manager.

I think backing up as necessary and doing new clean install or upgrade with the patch are the best options. There is an RPM installer so it is an upgrade options. Whatever approach you take you may have to remake some configuration files.

Richard

Yeah, the install directories are different so I had to copy the content, applications, and configs back in. After all that, I get this:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/wowza/wms/bootstrap/Bootstrap
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.wowza.wms.bootstrap.Bootstrap
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
    Could not find the main class: com.wowza.wms.bootstrap.Bootstrap. Program will exit.
    Is there a troubleshooting article for this I'm not finding? Wowza installed and started fine, imported the license, then I shut it down and brought in the old settings and it threw these errors.

This indicates you started Wowza as user other than root.

Richard