Wowza Community

Random license check failures

I’m finding that during the past week, I’ve encountered a number of occasions where restarting wowza on an Ec2 devpay instance results in a license check failure:

“The Wowza Media Systems Software licensing system has determined that your license key is not valid. Please validate that your are using the correct license key. If this problem persists, please visit http://www.wowza.com/subscriptionsupport.php for up to date information.”

Restarting the wowza service again clears things up, but it leaves me wondering if there’s an issue with the licensing server(s).

For my own instances this isn’t a big deal, but for my client’s instances, it could prove problematic, as they won’t know to dig into the logs to see why Wowza didn’t fire up after a restart.

If it helps, I’m using ami-465edb2f

Thanks

Jay

Bueller?

First time I’ve heard this on EC2 devpay. Any way to reproduce? What size instance was it? Was there any pattern?

This happens when a server is not connected to the internet, so I suppose there was EC2 network problem

Do you have an access log that shows an EC2 instance failing in this way then re-starting successfully? I doubt there is a fix, assuming it is network issue beyond our reach, but we can look at the logs at least. If we start hearing more reports like this, we might be able to take it to AWS.

Richard

I just hit this with my local server. Restarted the wowza service probably 50+ times today for testing and all of the sudden: “ERROR 500 - The Wowza Media Systems Software licensing system has determined that your license key is not valid. Please validate that your are using the correct license key. If this problem persists, please visit http://www.wowza.com/subscriptionsupport.php for up to date information.”

I have a perpetual license key so odd it would tell me that. Is there a limit to restarts per day?

I’ve tried restarting the wowza server and the wowza management service but to no avail.

Wowza 4.0.3

Thanks,

Jake

Tim,

Thank you for the quick reply.

A complete server reboot cleared up the issue but it is a little frustrating it would even occur in the first place. I’ll wait to hear from billing if there were any flags that went up yesterday and I hope to not hit the issue today. :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Jake

Thanks Richard.

The instance size was c1.medium . Unfortunately, I didn’t hold on to the logs, but I’ll pull them down the next time the issue pops up.

Jake,

There are no limitations related to multiple application startups on a daily basis. There must be a problem with your key, specifically.

Please create a billing support ticket by sending an email to billing@wowza.com. We can lookup your key and get to the bottom of the issue.

Thanks,

-Tim