Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to have thousands of channels?

Default Is it possible to have thousands of channels?

I'm currently working on building an audio server for thousands of different topics.

We have a large newsdesk that will be broadcasting out news in a push-to-talk type setup. Before they push the broadcast button they will select the current topic that they are broadcasting.

I need the ability for a client to choose the topics they want to subscribe to (out of 5000+). They will then get all audio for those topics and only those topics.

Is this something possible with Wowza? I don't see how this would work in any other way other than having 5000 channels. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Wowza can handle thousands of playback clients. Each is a unicast stream, a stream for each client. The details of what you describe will have to be developed by you, these feature requirements are not built-in but it is something that Wowza can support.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    Wowza can handle thousands of playback clients. Each is a unicast stream, a stream for each client. The details of what you describe will have to be developed by you, these feature requirements are not built-in but it is something that Wowza can support.

Richard
    Any advice on where to start?

I don't have much prior knowledge of Wowza but I've done a lot of Flash development work in the past.

In that case you might consider hiring a developer. We have a list of independent consultants. Send email to support@wowza.com and ask for that list if you are interested.

Otherwise, I'm not sure exactly where you would best start, but take a look at this flat list of all the Wowza tutorials, examples, guides and articles here:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....f-All-Articles

Richard

Awesome. Yeah, I'm going to figure this out on my own.

Will it be possible for one person to subscribe to say... category pig, dog and cat while another person is just pig and dog?

Also, I'm just planning for 1 broadcaster, 5000 tags/category channels, and 100 listeners to start off with. What license and instance count should I be looking at? (will be run on EC2)

There is not a concept of "category" or "tags" in Wowza, so that is something you would have to invent.

1 broadcaster and 100 subscribers is not a lot. We generally recommend a late model dual quad cpu with 4 - 8g ram and 64bit OS and 64bit Java/JDK that is properly tuned. A 1gbs nic minus 20% overhead would provide 800mbs throughput, more than enough for 100 subscribers at (e.g.) 1mbs each. For heavy vod a RAID 0 or RAID 1+0 is recommended.

Richard

Thanks.

Would I want to use wowza channels for each different "tags" stream or is there a better way of doing it myself?

My advice is to start digging into the tutorials and examples. There are many.

Richard

you need to design a cms other than wowza, wowza is media server that will server the content (audio/video) it does not got any logic buitin for that.
    CMS will keep track what user can select/selected in past, on that basis will give end user the choice, i would suggest go for php+mysql for BL and Wowza to server final selected choice of user.

Awesome. But these feature requirements are not built-in but it is something that Wowza can support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast