Wowza Community

RTSP not working on android devices (ok on VLC)

New user here … interested in using Wowza for my project but having some major issues.

Both the VOD sample mp4 and live stream work fine over VLC but when I try them on my android devices I get the error message “Sorry, this video cannot be played”

Here are the RSTP urls:

rtsp://source.dnbradio.com:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4

rtsp://source.dnbradio.com:1935/live/radiostation.stream

Android Version 2.3.4 and 2.3.5

Any suggestions?

The sample vid works now (tested it on a new network)… but the live stream still is not working… Works ok in VLC though… any suggestions?

Take a look at this trouble-shooting article:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-troubleshoot-rtsp-rtp-playback

UDP ports are a likely culprit

Richard

When you playback in VLC you can see if it fails over to TCP, there will be a long start time of about 10 seconds, and looking at Tools > Codec Info you will see two sets of video and audio info.

Richard

Is it mp3 audio? That might be a problem with some Android devices. AAC is recommended. Does it play in VLC?

Richard

Yes, but only on iOS devices or Safari browser on Mac OSX with cupertino streaming.

Richard

I’ve made sure appropriate UDP ports are open on both incoming and outgoing. Still no luck. Really not sure what else to try.

According to the server console it is doing UDP transport. The sample url is working over my phone but the live stream does not work. Maybe because it is audio only it is failing? What I am doing here is relaying a shoutcast server through wowza in hopes of being able to stream the audio to mobile devices. I followed this tutorial provided by Wowza and it is setup exactly as shown in the instructions. Is this even possible? I keep reading conflicting reports from different people.

yes it plays in vlc… I’ll try AAC.

AAC works! woohoo

Final question is… is it possible to get playback working using html5 audio or video tags?