Thread: The eternal search for quality in high-action (sports) live streaming

Default The eternal search for quality in high-action (sports) live streaming

or as I like to call it - how does MLS get it to look so good?

ok, I am using WMS 3.0.3

I use FMLE to stream live HS soccer

640x480, frame rate 29.97 VP6

If I set the kb at 1 MB, it looks great but users get CONSTANT buffering.

So I have to lower it to 800 to not get buffering complaints.

VOD is not much better, actually the quality is worse than live. The fuile that gets recorded to the server is usually much worse than live, so its a continual process of broadcast live, re-edit from tape, push a new file to the server.

I would prefer to have a good quality live file and a good quality VOD file.

I have 2 Mp up available to stream live, sometimes 3.
    I am only sending one stream.

On a dedicated server that runs a few very small low traffic websites (mostly WordPress), 2 installations of Shoutcast, and WMS.

Server specs:
    Dual Xeon 5620 / 24GB RAM / 4 x 1TB
    16 CPUS Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz
    1Gb dedicated port

WHM 11.34.0 CENTOS 5.8 x86_64

My load averages are:
    Load Averages: 0.03 0.05 0.00

When I had WMS 3.0 installed/upgraded I did have Performance Tuning done.

So why isn't my server pushing the video out at a better rate?

Would love to watch non-blurry soccer.

Hi,

It sounds like from your description that the end users do not have enough free bandwidth to receive your stream. You have proved this by lowering the bitrate of the videos.

You could use the transcoder to produce a lower bitrate version of your stream and most players will automatically use the best bitrate they can.

Regards,

Roger.

Thats not really where I'm going with this so I probably didn't describe it properly.

Lets start with the users who do have enough bandwidth.
    They still get buffering when the events are live.

And the file that gets recorded to the server doesn't have the same quality as the file that was broadcast live.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by coskel22 View Post
    And the file that gets recorded to the server doesn't have the same quality as the file that was broadcast live.
    That's weird. So the Wowza live stream looks good, but the Wowza recorded file looks bad? Does the local FMLE recording look good too?

I haven't done any Wowza recording with the VP6 codec, but if it looks different than the live stream or the encoder recording, it could either be recording the wrong stream (if you are doing multiple bitrates), or hitting hardware limits or network problems. Is there anything in the Wowza logs about it? A couple sample recordings (FMLE vs. Wowza) would be interesting.