Wowza Community

Audio Only Transcoding Icecast/Shoutcast MP3 to AAC. How to?

Hi Guys

I’ve spent alot of time on Wowza and it does alot for us. I just cannot for the life of me get this particular solution to work.

We are running Wowza Media Server 3 Monthly Edition 3.1.1 build1479 and I want to restream an Icecast MP3 stream and ALSO transcode it to AAC.

My application.xml file in the conf/ folder has the stream type as shoutcast to get the stream to deliver. I have a .stream file with the icecast details in.

This stream works fine.

Now the part that bugs me is the transcoding.

I’ve set the following values in the application.xml file:

transcoder

“”.xml (without the quotes, and is actually the application name I put there ie teststream.xml)

The template is based on what Charlie posted here: https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-configure-wowza-transcoder-to-encode-audio-using-he-aac

But without the mainconcept parameters, because our Wowza server is not yet patched to the required version.

So in my mind the following URL should work:

rtmp://:1935//mp4:.stream_aac

But it doesn’t.

Is there something I’m missing?

Have you disable the video portion, since it is audio only? Show the template you are using.

Run Wowza in stand-alone (/bin/startup.bat) so you can see log output in the console. What renditions are actually created? “.stream_acc” doesn’t seem right, unless you named your stream the same as the application. What does Wowza show it is transcoding?

Richard

Here is the template that I’m using:

<!-- Example template for audio only transcoding to AAC from any support audio codec -->
<Root>
	<Transcode>
		<Encodes>
			<!-- Example Encode block for source, not required unless Member of StreamNameGroup. --> 
			<Encode>
				<Enable>true</Enable>
				<Name>aac</Name>
				<StreamName>mp4:${SourceStreamName}_aac</StreamName>
				<Video>
					<!-- H.264, PassThru, Disable -->
					<Codec>PassThru</Codec>
					<Bitrate>${SourceVideoBitrate}</Bitrate>
					<Parameters>
					</Parameters>
				</Video>
				<Audio>
					<!-- AAC, PassThru, Disable -->
					<Codec>AAC</Codec>
					<Bitrate>32000</Bitrate>
					<Parameters>
					</Parameters>
				</Audio>
				<Properties>
				</Properties>
			</Encode>
		</Encodes>
		<Decode>
		</Decode>
		<StreamNameGroups>
		</StreamNameGroups>
		<Properties>
		</Properties>
	</Transcode>
</Root>

I’ll feed back on the wowza output a bit later. This is a production machine so I can’t stop it and start it at random.