Thread: ILiveStreamRecord: avoiding MOOV/atom errors with live audio

Question ILiveStreamRecord: avoiding MOOV/atom errors with live audio

Hi forum

I'm using Wowza 3.5 and the ILiveStreamRecord module to record AAC MP4 audio streams to disk.

My requirement is that all streams on my origin are recorded in full, and if they stop and then restart then the recording is appended to.

So I do something like:

onStreamCreate->onPublish: create LiveStreamRecorderMP4, startRecording (append=true)

onStreamCreate->onUnPublish: if a LiveStreamRecorderMP4 instance exists, stopRecording.

The problem is: if I disconnect a stream or shut the server down, I can see that the stream gets unpublished and recorder->stopRecording() is called. BUT I am still experiencing regular "MOOV Atom is missing" exceptions which mean that when the stream reconnects, the prior recording is wiped.

What are the definitive steps for stable recording of audio streams which avoids all MOOV/ATOM errors?

Hi
    If you change the streamType from "live" to "live-record" in the Application.xml the recording will be triggered by publish/unpublish.
    I don't think the "MOOV Atom is missing" problem exists when using the live-record method.

If you always want the recording to be a .mp4 extension you can use this guide,
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....m-live-streams

Is there a reason why you have written your own code to do this, maybe a requirement that currently doesn't exist?
    If you want to continue using the code your have written you can improve it by adding an additional "stoprecording" when "onStreamDestroy" is called.

Jason

the onStreamDestroy tip is useful - will try it now. Thanks.

Re. live-record:

1) It's an origin/edge setup. Does liverepeater-origin-record exist/work?

2) If so, can it support append mode?

Edit: http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthre...7198#post67198

Seems to be working well so far. Thanks again.
    Last edited by robw21; 12-19-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Yes, there is a StreamType "liverepeater-origin-record". To record to an mp4 (quicktime) container add "mp4:" prefix to the stream name in the encoder. Ensure that the stream is h.264 video and AAC or MP3 audio.

To enable append, add these Property settings to the Application.xml /Streams /Properties list:

<Property>
    	<Name>versionFile</Name>
    	<Value>false</Value>
    	<Type>Boolean</Type>
    </Property>
    <Property>
    	<Name>appendFile</Name>
    	<Value>true</Value>
    	<Type>Boolean</Type>
    </Property>
    But if some of your version-ed files are corrupt, then it might not be a good idea to append.

Richard

The built in method looks much better but I've got one more question-

Using the old (unreliable) method I load-tested my servers to ensure the disk io and CPU usage was acceptable

Is there anything different in the implementation of the -record stream type that I should be aware of, which could affect performance under heavy load?

Hi
    No, live-record will record all streams being published in this application so if you have 20 inbound streams Wowza will be writing 20 files to disk however this is the same setup as you had before so should not effect you in anyway.

Just as a note :
    If you require all files to be written in mp4 format set your encoder stream name as mp4:MyStreamName, the mp4: prefix will ensure Wowza writes the files in mp4 format.

Jason