Thread: Accessing Transcoded Stream

Default Accessing Transcoded Stream

Greetings,

I am trying to stream video to a flash mobile application. I have a stream called "test" that is being transcoded into H.264 and AAC. The resulting transcoded stream is named "test_aac".

My application is using RTMP to subscribe to the stream. If I attempt to subscribe to "test", I get the original stream, un-encoded. If I attempt to subscribe to "test_aac", wowza tries to play the stream, then immediately stops play.

Am I missing a configuration somewhere that allows me to access the transcoded stream?

Thanks,
    Nick

Nick,

What are the settings for the stream "test_aac" in your transcoder template?

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim_d View Post
    Nick,

What are the settings for the stream "test_aac" in your transcoder template?

-Tim
    Transcoder setting below:
    <Encode>
    				<Enable>true</Enable>
    				<Name>aac</Name>
    				<StreamName>mp4:${SourceStreamName}_aac</StreamName>
    				<Video>
    					<!-- H.264, PassThru -->
    					<Codec>PassThru</Codec>
    					<!-- default, CUDA, QuickSync -->
    					<Transcoder>default</Transcoder>
    					<FrameSize>
    						<!-- letterbox, fit-width, fit-height, crop, stretch, match-source -->
    						<FitMode>match-source</FitMode>
    						<Width>320</Width>
    						<Height>240</Height>
    					</FrameSize>
    					<Profile>baseline</Profile>
    					<Bitrate>${SourceVideoBitrate}</Bitrate>
    					<KeyFrameInterval>
    						<FollowSource>true</FollowSource>
    						<Interval>30</Interval>
    					</KeyFrameInterval>
    					<Overlays>
    						<Overlay>
    							<Enable>true</Enable>
    							<Index>1</Index>
    							<ImagePath>${com.wowza.wms.context.VHostConfigHome}/content/wowzalogo.png</ImagePath>
    							<Opacity>50</Opacity>
    							<Location>
    								<X>5</X>
    								<Y>5</Y>
    								<Width>${ImageWidth}</Width>
    								<Height>${ImageHeight}</Height>
    								<!-- horiz: left, right, hcenter - vert: top, bottom, vcenter -->
    								<Align>left,top</Align>
    							</Location>
    						</Overlay>
    					</Overlays>
    					<Parameters>
    					</Parameters>
    				</Video>
    				<Audio>
    					<!-- AAC, PassThru -->
    					<Codec>AAC</Codec>
    					<Bitrate>96000</Bitrate>
    					<!-- Bitrate>${SourceAudioBitrate}</Bitrate-->
    				</Audio>
    				<Properties>
    				</Properties>
    			</Encode>
    		</Encodes>
    I'm able to access the transcoded stream via RTSP, but not RTMP, so I know the stream itself is being generated and is receiving the correct encoding for audio and video as well as adding the overlay. Unfortunately for Flash mobile I need RTMP (as far as I understand it).

Do you see anything in the [install-dir]/logs? You mention that you're streaming to Flash mobile. What device/player configuration are you working with? Have you tested RTMP using a standard desktop browser setup? You may want to test your stream on a desktop computer using the players provided with your install located in [install-dir]/examples.

Quote Originally Posted by tim_d View Post
    Do you see anything in the [install-dir]/logs? You mention that you're streaming to Flash mobile. What device/player configuration are you working with? Have you tested RTMP using a standard desktop browser setup? You may want to test your stream on a desktop computer using the players provided with your install located in [install-dir]/examples.
    I am testing on an Android phone using StageVideo. I can get the audio stream, but no video.

Yes. I have tested on standard desktop. Using RTMP I am able to stream the original, however, the transcoded "test_acc" stream won't work.

Which takes us back to the original question, do I have to configure access rights or something to access this transcoded stream?

Is the source h.264 video? Or is it VP6 perhaps?

Otherwise, try changing the [stream-name]_aac /Encode /Video /Codec to "h.264"

<Codec>h.264</Codec>
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    Is the source h.264 video? Or is it VP6 perhaps?

Otherwise, try changing the [stream-name]_aac /Encode /Video /Codec to "h.264"

<Codec>h.264</Codec>
    Richard
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already done that. I was testing something else and had forgotten to change it back in the code above.

With the codec correctly set to H.264, [stream-name]_aac correctly transcodes the video to H.264 and the audio to AAC while also adding the overlay. This new stream with the _aac appended is accessible via VLC (or the live example, or your favorite stream program) via RTSP at:

rtsp://[server]:1935/[project-name]/[stream-name]_aac

The original stream remains with the video and audio un-transcoded and no overlay at:

rtsp://[server]:1935/[project-name]/[stream-name]

So I am certain the [stream-name]_aac stream exists and is being encoded correctly, but I am unable to access this stream via RTMP in a Flex mobile app.

Apologies if I sound like I'm repeating myself, just trying to narrow this down.

Thanks for the replies,
    Nick

Nick,

So, the only problem is RTMP to a Flash application on a mobile Android? One solution is use RTSP. Anything else has both fragmented version support and is sketchy even in versions the feature is supported. I'm not sure but I know that many Android devices use UDP only for streaming and RTMP is TCP, so that might be the problem. You do need all UDP ports open for RTSP streaming to Android devices.

These are required reading for RTSP streaming:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-RTP-streaming

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....P-RTP-playback

Richard