Wowza Community

Access logs for HLS?

I’m looking for a way to calculate the daily bandwidth usage for a wowza server. I was hoping I could use some raw access logs, but the access logs in wowzamediaserver_access.log don’t include bandwidth information for HLS.

Is this something where I need to extend Wowza with a Java module?

You can get cumulative bandwidth average from:

sc-bytes * 8 / x-duration = bps

Log rows with x-event “destroy” and x-category “cupertino” have HLS session totals.

Richard

I get destroy events for cupertino in my test, but the disconnect should have the same sc-bytes and x-duration.

Richard

I’m not sure that Wowza logs every .ts chunk every playback client requests. You could use IHTTPStreamerCupertinoVODActionNotify2 or IHTTPStreamerCupertinoLivePacketizerDataHandler to look at every packet:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-convert-ontextdata-events-in-a-live-or-vod-stream-to-timed-events-id3-tags-in-an-apple-hls-stream

Richard

There don’t seem to be any log lines that have both ‘destroy’ and ‘cupertino’

All of the destroys I see are associated with the category “stream”. For the category “cupertino” there only seem to be events “connect” and “disconnect”. Maybe that’s what you meant?

Is there any way to view raw access logs? Similar to how apache would show requests for every file. For instance, I’d like to see the requests made for individual .TS chunks in an HLS stream.