Thread: MpegTS encoder to Wowa

Default MpegTS encoder to Wowa

Hi,

I'm generating live mpegts content and connecting it to wowza as per http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....based-encoder)

And when I watch the video on my iPad, it isnt coming properly. I see lot of patches. However, if I packetize this mpegts stream inside RTP and send it as RTP payload(MpegTS over RTP) it seems to work fine.

So, does wowza support only Mpeg TS over RTP? Cant I make it work with raw Mpeg TS?

~Jagadish

It shouldn't matter to the iOS client. I have used VLC to output mpegts and re-stream using udp following that guide.

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....rver-(MPEG-TS)

Richard

Richard,

This again seems to be Mpeg TS over RTP and not MPEG TS raw. Also, while publishing I'm using MediaCaster type as RTP. Does it mean wowza does not support live, raw Mpeg TS stream(the one which comes into a STB)?

I can send Mpeg TS stream over RTP. Its not really an issue. But it adds unnecessary processing overheads since Wowza media server too need to strip off 188 bytes of Mpeg Ts packets from these RTP packets for HTTP streaming(HLS is nothing but Mpeg Ts packets in HTTP fragments)

~Jagadish

As I understand it, if you are re-streaming from udp:// url that should be raw mpeg-ts, not mpeg-ts over rtp

Richard

Richard,

So Wowza does support incoming MpegTs raw stream as per the tutorial mentioned above. But why should the MediaCaster type be set to RTP in that case? I dont see MediaCaster type MpegTs in that list. This made me assume Wowza supports only MpegTs over RTP. And my assumption got strengthened when MpegTs over RTP was working fine(with minor glitches) compared Mpeg Ts raw(this was completely green patchy)

Regards,
    Jagadish

Jagadish,

Here is detailed info:

The rtp MediaCaster type covers several different methods of streaming:

1. Elementary RTP stream ingestion (using an SDP file)
    2. MPEG-TS stream ingestion (using a .stream file with a udp:// URL)
    3. IP camera re-streaming

We just happened to name this MediaCaster "rtp"

Richard