Wowza Community

Audio and Subtitles for smooth streaming on Silverlight

I am not able to stream audio and subtitles for an ism file on Silvelight.

Is there a way to solve this?

Is it audio only, no video? That doesn’t work in Silverlight player. I’m not sure about the sub-titles but Wowza’s recently added Closed Caption features do not include smooth streaming and Silverlight player

Richard

I’m not sure what to suggest. I know Wowza does not support this at present. It is possible in the future but I don’t know of any plans.

Richard

I don’t think so. I assume you are playing the ism file with the smil prefix. Wowza supports an audio only rendition for iOS, but not for Silverlight.

If you have ismv files with multiple bitrate renditions encoded into one file (use Expression 4 Encoder), that is not supported in Wowza. You have to have separate files.

Also note that the ismv files are fragmented, which Wowza can stream, but it is higher overhead especially at the start of playback. We recommend the encoding path using Expression 4 Encoder that is shown in this article:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-encode-video-on-demand-content

Richard

Actually Wowza does support audio tag in a smil for Smooth streaming, and it might work using using the ism file. Take a look at the “Adaptive bitrate streaming” section of the tutorials, e.g. Live RTMP Streaming

Richard

There is an ismv with video and audio, the streams mentioned above are additional audio (the audio stream has black frame encoded as video) and subtitles referred to as ismv and ismt respectively in the ism file. So the wowza server is not able to parse audio and textstream tags then? If so, can we add plug-in’s so it can parse those tags as well?

Does wowza recognize the audio tag in the ism file?