Thread: Problem with Live Streaming (HLS) with Wowza

Default Problem with Live Streaming (HLS) with Wowza

Hi everyone,

I downloaded the free trial wowza version a few days ago. I try to install a streaming server. For now, it is just a test.

I publish a video from VLC in a loop, to simulate a live video. I get the video with Wowza and share it with the World... Well, for now, just me.

To see the video, I watch it with the example "Live Video Streaming" (Adobe Flash) and it play beautifully. I did the same with a JavaScript/Flash player (JW Player) , again it works with RTMP.

But I have some difficulties with HLS (or cupertino streaming here ).
    I can play the same video, with Quicktime or my Roku Box but it is not live ! The video start at the beginning of the film and I can move backward & forward. I don't understand why is that...
    When I launch the video player, the video is not in synch with the others (The Live Video Streaming example or the JW Player)

If someone has a solution, or a tip, I will be glad to hear it.

Take a look at the configuration and playback steps for cupertino (HLS) streaming in this guide:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-based-encoder

You need to add "cupertinostreamingpacketizer" to the /conf/[app-name]/Applicationl.xml /Streams /LiveStreamPacketizers

Richard

Also, look at this VLC guide:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....rver-(MPEG-TS)

Richard

Thank you for your answer.

I already read the tutorials that you recommend. I can play the video without any trouble but i was wondering why can I pause the player like it was not in live.

Maybe it is normal, the video plays with Apple Device (Cupertino Stream) and the one plays by Flash (RTMP) are not in synch... It's a difference of a few seconds.

Syncing a live stream on a Flash RTMP client with a iOS client is not going to work, they are just too different.

In HLS you might pause for a few seconds because of the way streams are delivered in chunks.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ErwanJes View Post
    But I have some difficulties with HLS (or cupertino streaming here ).
    I can play the same video, with Quicktime or my Roku Box but it is not live ! The video start at the beginning of the film and I can move backward & forward. I don't understand why is that...
    How long is your sample stream? Could you link to it here? If you can post the RTMP address, we can try it and compare it to its HLS version.

As Richard says, the RTMP and HLS versions will not be in sync, due to the extra processing/chunking of the HLS stream. But it should still be "live" and not video on demand.