Thread: Bandwidth separator for additional publisher?

Default Bandwidth separator for additional publisher?

Hi all,

I understand this post may be in the wrong location or possibly already discussed. Can you help with the WOWZA service name or link to location. Thanks in advance,

As the content developer for my website, I am inquiring about the possibility to separate bandwidth of a single stream without pulling an additional feed from the camera.

Can I share an IP network camera's video stream, utilizing WOWZA with amazon EC2, without incurring any bandwidth costs from the secondary website. I know how to give another website direct access to the camera and they can pull a feed to their own server, but if we pull more than 1 feed directly from the camera it eats up the locations internet bandwidth. We currently share our video feeds with a few other websites but we incur all bandwidth costs. Is it possible to share a wowza link to one of our feeds, and have the secondary website incur the bandwidth cost on their own media server (assuming they have one)?

If possible, will it require the secondary website to have a WOWZA server account?

If possible, can the secondary website be billed directly for bandwidth they use?

Thanks,

Warren

You can restream your camera feed using Wowza which will require a single connection between Wowza and the camera. See How to re-stream video from an IP camera (RTSP/RTP re-streaming) for more information.

Using EC2, you can link the player directly from your webpage which will create a single network connection between each web client and EC2.

As to the secondary website, if their media player can ingest a streaming protocol that is available from Wowza (i.e. RTMP, Flash or RTSP) and distribute it in some capacity, then what you propose is technically possible.

-Tim

One clarification, a web server does not use bandwidth between it and a Wowza server. Bandwidth is used between a user's browser where a client player is running and Wowza. The web server just serves the player to browser.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    One clarification, a web server does not use bandwidth between it and a Wowza server. Bandwidth is used between a user's browser where a client player is running and Wowza. The web server just serves the player to browser.

Richard
    Thanks for the clarification Richard.

Can you help clarify things a bit further per Tim's posting.

"You can restream your camera feed using Wowza which will require a single connection between Wowza and the camera. See How to re-stream video from an IP camera (RTSP/RTP re-streaming) for more information."

This is the system we currently have in place for allowing news stations to pull the feed, i.e. rtsp://[wowza-address]:1935/live/camera.stream. My understanding now is they "ingest" the feed and re broadcast the feed using their own bandwidth through their networks. Correct?

Would this be the ideal way to allow other website to use our feeds in which they incur all bandwidth charges for their viewers?

Thanks,

Warren

Hi
    (1) When a client plays the stream through a website the player points to the the stream on your EC2 server. You will be charged for the bandwidth by Amazon regardless of who's website the player originates from. The players all point to your Wowza server and you will be charged for this bandwidth which the server sends out to the clients.

(2) If you're sending the stream to another Wowza server which someone else owns and they were re-streaming to their clients as an edge server, they will get charged for all clients connected to that server and you will be billed for the one stream to their server.

Jason

Streaming happens between a player/browser and Wowza, not a website. A website stores the player and sends it to the browser. The player running in the browser connects to Wowza, the website has nothing to do with it.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    Hi
    (1) When a client plays the stream through a website the player points to the the stream on your EC2 server. You will be charged for the bandwidth by Amazon regardless of who's website the player originates from. The players all point to your Wowza server and you will be charged for this bandwidth which the server sends out to the clients.

(2) If you're sending the stream to another Wowza server which someone else owns and they were re-streaming to their clients as an edge server, they will get charged for all clients connected to that server and you will be billed for the one stream to their server.

Jason
    If going route number (2);
    This is what we came up with for the monthly charge if we allow client to re-stream via an edge server pulling single feed.

1000kbit/s (~Camera bandwidth) x 60 sec x 60min x 24hrs x 30 days = 2,592,000,000KBit

2,592,000,000KBit’s = 308.9GB x $0.12 = $37.08 per month

Questions:

Is this a continuous pull, as described in math above or do we only get charged when “(2) client re-streaming” pulls feed through edge server?

Hi
    Yes, If the owner of the other Wowza server is using a .stream file it will pull the stream continually as a source to re-stream.
    The theory is correct as long as the stream is available.

Jason