Wowza Community

streaming 1500 movies "VOD"

I have a streaming license for over 1500 movies, and I want to stream those movies“VOD” through Wowza to different devices (PC ,Mobiles , iPads…etc). I am expecting not less than 1000 viewer daily . Can I do that thought Wowza server? How many servers do I have to build?

This is definitely possible. You will probably need to re-encode all these movies at various resolutions, SD and optimized HD resolutions to be able to stream efficiently.

The amount of servers you need depends on how many simultaneous clients you need to support, though you may need several servers to spread the movies out, unless you plan to use a SAN and store them all in a centralized location.

One option is a large RAID 0 or RAID 1+0 disk array preferably using SSD drives.

Richard

You have to test. 1000 a day could mean 100 concurrent or 500. A decent server and network can handle that.

Richard

No, of course that is not true.

Richard

if U encode HD movie to 2mbps , so 1000 concurent views is 2Gbps = 250 MB/s … its not problem for any decent raid controler … 250MB/s u get with software raid too (for reading) …

as I know that wowza server can handle only 1000 concurrent user.

is this true ? wowza have limit to 1000 concurrent users ? i was looked yesterday on web and pdfs and not found it …

thanx richard :slight_smile:

I thought that Im living in mistake with wowza about 3 years :slight_smile:

I doubt there’s a hard 1000 user limit for Wowza. The problem is having sufficient network capacity as well as hardware specifications to push that much data.

If you have 1500 movies at 1GB each in 720p, this will require 1500GB of storage; If you have 1000 users, each requesting a different movie, you will run into trouble, as there’s no way your disks could hold up to so many requests, short of using SSDs.

I was thinking about having the movies stored on one server and have 2 other server to load balance, as I know that wowza server can handle only 1000 concurrent user.

What is the best solution in this case then?

large RAID and 1 wowza server?

Hi

@Elshorbagy76

If you want to use a similar setup to eTiMaGo you’ll need to make a request for the MediaCache AddOn.

Instructions can be found here,

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-scale-video-on-demand-streaming-with-media-cache

Jason

we have a similar situation, here it our setup:

1. Data storage server: 48TBs in RAID6 - Wowza not necessary on this, you can share files over the network

2. 2 Edge servers with 4x SSDs in RAID0, using Mediacache, each with 4 1GBps adapters

Can handle pretty much anything :slight_smile:

if U encode HD movie to 2mbps , so 1000 concurent views is 2Gbps = 250 MB/s … its not problem for any decent raid controler … 250MB/s u get with software raid too (for reading) …

Keep in mind random access times… if 1000 concurrent views watching the same content, no problem… but if it’s hundreds of different files, you’ll start overloading the system at some point.