Thread: Content streaming to iPad/iPhone

Default Content streaming to iPad/iPhone

Hi all,

We are trying to move from an third party host, to our own server, and are about 90% now, all working fine on PC platform, but we still have a problem with support for Apple products, and also have not tried a Windows phone...

Short story:
    After installing Wowza on our server, together with a flowplayer client on a support website for viewing news media, I tried to get it working
    on an iPhone/iPad. Plain flowplayer and the third party server (which works with Wowza also) work great on iPad/iPhone, but not if we use the same video
    file on our newly installed Wowza server, same client ofcourse.
    At this moment, I just try to stream a video file, nothing live yet.
    I think I might have a wrong set of open ports for Apple products, it has to be a configuration in the Wowza conf files, or even ,in the router.
    The standards ports are open, Wowza is also listening to port 80, and still now working. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input

It sounds like encoding is the issue. h.264 Baseline 3 or lower and AAC audio is the best choice. Take a look at the examples here:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....demand-content

Richard

Thanks for answering, but I don't think so...

The reason why is simple: playing the same video file from the third party wowza, it runs on all platforms in question, PC and Apple.
    So, I must be missing something in the setup... Is the iPod actually requesting data through another port then the usual 80/1935?

If modifiying the video file would help, I would certainly do it, but I first want to find out the actual reason for it to be streaming from one setup, but not on another one. Could it have something to do with versions?

More questions pop into my mind. After checking the log files, I cannot see any request coming in from the iPad/iPhone client, leading me again to believe
    that there is actually a setup wrong.
    Is the VOD example video running on a default wowza setup on an iPad/iPhone client? If so, I'll start there, and investigate a little bit further. Something tells me that I am getting close... (fingers crossed)

Hello again,

didn't get close, firewall is OK, but the VOD example application is running on an iPOD. I nailed it down to a an (unsupported?) subdirectory structure in the
    iPad URL specified in the VOD example.
    Using:
    http://[wowza server]/vod/mp4:test/sample.mp4/playlist.m3u8 does NOT work
    using
    http://[wowza server]/vod/mp4:sample.mp4/playlist.m3u8 does work

Can someone verify this, and if possible, give me a solution? I guess I am doing something wrong, looks like a misplaced character, but cannot figure it out.
    Guess I tested too much

- Jarlee

Assuming "test" is a subfolder of the /content folder, add application instance between application and stream name. Like this:

http://[wowza server]/vod/_definst_/mp4:test/sample.mp4/playlist.m3u8

Richard

Communication with you guys is like online chat with a bit of delay.

test was indeed a subdirectory, and the application instance was indeed missing. All is working now Thanks for the help, great job!

- Jarlee

Jarlee,

Great! Glad it's working. Thanks for the kind words,
    Richard