Thread: publishing smil file

Default publishing smil file

hi..

How to publish smil file programatically without restarting wowza?

regards
    Jason.
    Last edited by jasonp; 01-21-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: correcting

First, you don't have to re-start Wowza to use a new smil file. And they are not actually published, you just place them in the application's content folder. You can play them back without re-starting Wowza, as long as they streams that are referenced in the smil file are active.

This is how to create MediaList (which is smil file is one form of) programatically:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-file-requests

Richard

Hi richard,

Thank you for the reply. How can I add or delete stream from smil file programatically?

regards
    Jason

hi Richard,

I have already published 4 streams and given details about those streams in smil file. And now I want to publish one more stream through ABR (SMIL) list with disturbing published streams. How can I do that?

regards
    Jason.

You start each of the live streams that are referenced in the smil the same way you publish one stream. If you using a Live RTMP encoder, you start the streams in the encoder. If you are using MediaCaster streams then use StreamManager or /conf/StartUpStreams.

Each of the live streams must be *key frame aligned*. You can debug alignment like this:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....rame-alignment

The best way to do live streaming ABR is with the Wowza Transcoder. In that case you only have to produce one stream, then the Wowza Transcoder can produce multiple renditions at different bit rates that will always be key frame aligned
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....live-streaming

Richard

Hi richard,

I am using MPEG-TS based encoder. Thank you for the alignment debug information. I want to publish streams pragmatically. I cant use streamManager to accomplish this task, and if I use StartupStreams, it requires wowza restart, isn't it? But I don't wanna do that because it affects already published streams. My use-case is simple, I have already published 4 key-frame aligned streams with multiple bit-rates and I have put the proper information in SMIL file. Now I want to publish one more stream without affecting already published. Before publishing the stream I need to enter details in the SMIL file, am I right? If I modify SMIL file will it affect already published streams?

regards
    Jason

Jason,

You can start MediaCaster stream programatically like this:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....PEG-TS-streams

I doubt that a steam started later will be key frame aligned with the ones that were started earlier together.

You can modify the smil file anytime, the next client that requests it will get the new one.

Richard
    Last edited by rrlanham; 01-22-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot. That really helped me to resolve most of my doubts. I will get back to you for clarification in other topics. Have great time

regards
    Jason