Thread: Setting Up Wowza

Default Setting Up Wowza

Hello fellow forum members,

I come here today with several problems primary due to a lack of knowledge with working in an environment via SSH using PUTTY. Let me explain where I stand and that I will most likely need further assistance beyond my initial queries.

To start things off I currently have Wowza Media Server RPM installed on my CentOS Linux server with 8GB of ram and a quad core Xeon with hyper-threading running on RAID 10. Wowza Media Server is running and I am able to view the sample video using the 'Getting Started Video Player'. Beyond that I am have made absolutely no progress...

To start my initial problems I do not know how to get access to the 'setenv.sh' file to increase the Java Heap size as recommended by the performance tuning guide. To explain I see that you are supposed to access the file via '[install-dir]/bin/setenv.sh', I just do not know how to open the file and edit it via command line.

I suspect I will have further questions after my current query is answered though knowing how to open and edit the files should solve numerous problems. After this I will need to figure out how to create a livestream from Adobe Media Encoder to Wowza which will be feeding to JWPlayer embedded on my website.

One other question I have for right now. Last night Wowza Media Server was running but when I checked on it this morning it had shutdown. Any ideas or solutions to why this happened?

I greatly appreciate any and all assistance that ya'll are willing to provide.

Thank you,
    Myflag

Are you able to connect with Putty? If so you can use vi to edit files. Opening, editing and saving a file is easy enough in vi.

http://www.washington.edu/computing/unix/vi.html

You can also use FTP, edit files locally and upload them.

If you were running Wowza in stand alone (/bin/startup.sh) mode, then Wowza will shutdown when you log off. You have to run Wowza as a service.

Richard

I just used vi to edit my Java Heap size which I increased to 4000m. I shut down Wowza before hand and then started it back up.

Also, thank you for that link, it has been extremely useful.

I am now moving further into the server setup.
    Last edited by Myflag; 01-22-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Solved Initial Problem

I would stop the service and start in stand-alone mode while you test. When you are ready to log off and it working you shutdown then start the service.

What do you see in the console when you start Wowza?

You can also refer to the access and error logs in the /logs folder. Is there any useful log messages there?

Richard

** I found out the issue in my previous post was that my Plesk firewall was blocking the 1935 port when Wowza was running as a service but not when it ran in stand-alone. I adjusted the firewall to accommodate the Wowza service and I am now able to reach the info page.

Now I have another question that I need answered.

In the instructions it states to 'create an application'. I'm not sure I understand what it actually wants me to do here...if you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

All I need to have right now is the ability to stream from a PC with Adobe Media Live Encoder to Wowza and then have that exported to JWPlayer for the audience to view.

Thank you again for assisting me through these issues.
    Last edited by Myflag; 01-22-2013 at 04:23 PM.

I have one more question. When the free trial ends and I get my paid subscription what will be required to switch my server from the trial to the paid Wowza rental?

-Myflag
    Last edited by Myflag; 01-22-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: One More Question

Just replace the contents of the /conf/Server.license file with the new key

Richard

Richard,

Thank you for answering my question and all of the support that you have provided.

-Myflag