Wowza Community

Roku HLS loading time

Currently I am testing Roku loading time in Wowza 3.5, it takes around 20 to 60 sec to load the stream. Is there any way to fine tune the HLS setting hence the load time can be under 10 secs.

I have tested with different CDN’s, Eg: EdgeCast loading time under 10 secs but they are not using Wowza :slight_smile:

Please guide.

Yes, take a look at this guide:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-configure-apple-hls-packetization-cupertinostreaming

Richard

Just remember that key frame frequency should be a factor of cupertinoChunkDurationTarget. Try 1 second key frame frequency and cupertinoChunkDurationTarget “1000”.

Richard

These would be set on the origin only, or wherever packetizing is being done.

Richard

Roku seems to want to have 8 segments in cache before it begins playback. I would try reducing the chunk duration to 10 seconds, and set the playlist chunk count / repeater chunk count to 8 for Roku (keep in mind that will also affect other HLS clients)

Also, is this for a live stream or a VOD stream? Given the wait time, I’m assuming you’re dealing with live streams

You’ll want your maxChunkCount value to be a little higher than your playlist and repeater chunk counts. I tend to use a value twice what the playlist count is.

Hi Richard,

Do you have any recommended settings?

cupertinoChunkDurationTarget

Integer

cupertinoMaxChunkCount

Integer

cupertinoPlaylistChunkCount

Integer

cupertinoRepeaterChunkCount

Integer

I am trying to fine tune the loading time also trying to adjust FMLE settings as well.

FMLE setting

Baseline 3.1 | Key frame 1 | FPS 29.97 | 640x360 | Total bit rate 864 kbps

Wowza edge server setting

Integer

cupertinoMaxChunkCount

Integer

Integer

Integer

Do you recommend the same settings on the origin as well?

Hi Jay,

Yes, I am dealing with live content. I will try your recommendation :slight_smile:

Integer

cupertinoMaxChunkCount

Integer

Integer

Integer