Thread: Choppy Video When Stream Begins

Default Choppy Video When Stream Begins

I'm looking at potentially moving traffic over from my existing FMS severs but still have a few issues to resolve. One problem that I'm dealing with is that it seems that during the first 5-10 minutes or so of a live stream's broadcast, it's quite choppy. After that it seems to settle down and smooth out. I don't have this problem on FMS. I'm using the same two client apps to serve the video and view it. I can switch back and forth between the two servers and I still have the issue on the Wowza server, then works perfectly on FMS. This is on my internal network and I have plenty of bandwidth.

I'm using the H.264 encoder (main 3.1) in the Flash player 640x480 quality=90, 10fps, keyframes=10. I have a one second buffer on the client side.

Again, I've been using this configuration and these apps for over a year on FMS (basically once they supported H.264 encoding in the player) with no issue, but trying to move to Wowza, it's quite choppy.

Any suggestions please?

What do your Java Collection options in the setenv file look like? Is this a stock config, or have you done some performance tuning? If so, what options did you opt to use?

Funny you mention that which I was going to ask in another post. The deployment is currently stock (set up as installed for development). So I started to go through the performance tuning article and when I make changes to the setenv.bat the server crashes when I try to restart it. It doesn't seem to like either changes from step 2 or 3 of the article. It's a Windows machine running 64bit with 4GB RAM. The 64 bit version of Java is installed.