Thread: Lifetime of Wowza EC2 Pre-Built AMI Images

Default Lifetime of Wowza EC2 Pre-Built AMI Images

Hello,

I was wondering what the lifetime & lifecycle is for the Wowza EC2 Pre-Built AMI ?

If I am using a particular AMI today ( ami-dd38acb4 ) - will this AMI continue to be a version of 3.5.x that only has minor patches applied? Or will it automatically migrate to 4.x when that releases? Or will it automatically disappear when 4.x releases?

I'm trying to understand if there is a reason why I can't rely on these being around - I don't want to have a situation where I am forced to upgrade on a single date, having some buffer time where the 3.5.x image is still around after the 4.x image launches would be very useful.

Thanks in advance for any insights you may bring.

I have been using Wowza 2.X instances for some time now. Even though they've moved on to 3.0 and now 3.5 (and they've even 'hidden' the Wowza 2 forums)... all the "old" Wowza 2.X pre-built AMIs are still there for me to use.

I asked if Wowza had plans to "delete" these older AMIs, and they said that they did not. So I would expect them to be around for a good while.

AMIs are not "upgraded". If Wowza comes out with a new version of the software, they typically issue new AMIs -- but you can still use the old ones. The Wowza AMIs on Amazon EC2 are essentially "frozen" at whatever Wowza version they were created.