Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HLSstreams play in iOS 6.1 not in 5.1

Default HLSstreams play in iOS 6.1 not in 5.1

I'm sending live streams via the Flash Player H.264 main 3.1 profile with Speex audio (we are not using the transcoder and I realize audio will not work). The video can be played fine on an iPad, iTouch, and iPhone with iOS 6.1 but will not play on an iPhone with iOS 5.1. The source stream sent through Flash Media Server CAN be played by the phone with iOS 5.1.

We are running Wowza 3.5.0.2

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I now have found that the phone in question (iPhone 3GS) can view the video if I change the profile to Baseline 3.0 instead of Main 3.1. However I thought that 3GS was able to plain the Main profile. I don't see how that stream could be viewed coming out of the Flash Media Server and not the Wowza server.

I don't think 3gs plays Main profile, from what I remember and your test.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    I don't think 3gs plays Main profile, from what I remember and your test.

Richard
    That's the weird thing - it plays the main profile when it's sent through FMS, but not through Wowza. Curious what the difference would be because I'd really prefer not to downgrade the profile we are using.

It might be the audio. Is it mp3? If so, try 44100Hz, 128kbs

Richard

iPhone 3GS indeed does not officially support Main profile:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP565

But perhaps it could work -- I would try Richard's suggestion of adjusting the audio encoding. Maybe FMS and Wowza are packaging that Speex audio differently? Also, what do you see in the Wowza logs when you attempt to play this stream? It should give a message about profile level or encoding parameters -- I would be curious if it suggested that audio was the culprit...

If all else fails, I have used the "forceH264BaselineProfile" property in Wowza in situations where I cannot change the profile (i.e. QuickTime Broadcaster live stream) and it has worked well for me:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthre...8522#post68522

1) The audio is Speex set to encodeQuality=3 which is 9.8 kbps according to the Flash docs. The default is 6 (which is 20.6 kbps). Are you suggesting I try changing the encodeQuality setting? I've already got it fairly low to save some bandwidth.

2) Would the forceH264BaselineProfile allow for the HLS streams to be streamed using the Baseline profile, but my main rtmp stream available for Flash viewers be encoded with my original Main profile? If so that *might* be an option I could live with. I'd rather not degrade my desktop video experience at the expense of supporting older iPhones.

iOS devices only support MP3 and AAC audio. You have to transcode the Speex to AAC. Take a look at this guide:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....anscoder-AddOn

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    iOS devices only support MP3 and AAC audio. You have to transcode the Speex to AAC. Take a look at this guide:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....anscoder-AddOn

Richard
    I'm not worried about the audio - I know it won't play. At this point, I just want the video delivered.

This is what I'm curious about: Would the forceH264BaselineProfile as mentioned above allow for the HLS streams to be streamed using the Baseline profile, but my main rtmp stream available for Flash viewers be encoded with my original Main profile? If so that would be a great feature!

You will have to take out the Speex audio track to playback on iOS. Don't include audio when you publish from Flash. And set the video to Baseline profile, as shown in that example.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast