Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Embedded 3GPP Caption Streams

Default Multiple Embedded 3GPP Caption Streams

How do I select which caption data stream do use for HLS?

The older version of Wowza had a working solution for RTMP: calling setTrackIndexData(index) on the MediaReader changes where onTextData gets its captions. However, this doesn't work anymore in 3.5.2. By default, it always uses the first caption stream in the file in both RTMP and HLS.
    Last edited by odrilon; 02-15-2013 at 02:34 AM.

It's not clear how you are currently doing this.
    Please email support@wowza.com and provide more details and links to articles you've tried currently and previously.
    Also send [install-dir]/conf and logs for troubleshooting and provide a link to this forum post for reference.

regards,
    Daren

Before I send the details, I'd like to know first if the new closed caption system does have a mechanism for selecting which embedded captions is used if an mp4 has multiple 3GPP/MPEG-4 subtitles in it. It's not mentioned in any of the new closed caption artic

Take a look at this example:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....erActionNotify

Richard

Ah, so the 3.0 method of using MediaReaderH264 still works with the new closed captioning in 3.5? I'll double-check my 3.5 setup, there might have been something I missed since switching from 3.1 that stopped my old implementation from working.

I copied the .jar containing my module from the 3.1 lib directory to the 3.5 lib directory and this is what I got. My module uses the MediaReaderH264 method you linked above for selecting the audio/data stream.

Can change audio track? Can change subtitle track?
    RTMP Y Y
    HLS Y Subtitles don't appear.

Can change audio track? Can change subtitle track?
    RTMP Y The first subtitle track is always used.
    HLS Y The first subtitle track is always used.

So, the 3.5.2 MediaReaderH264 is doing its job with the audio track, but isn't changing the data track at all. Could you confirm if this is a bug or if the API has changed for selecting the data track? I suspect that the 3GPP caption provider bypasses the MediaReader.
    Last edited by odrilon; 02-17-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Looking at the access log with the MediaReaderH264 in place, when you play that file you will see much info about audio and data tracks. Is what you expect to see? What are the data track indexes?

If not figured out, re-start Wowza, then try to playback using RTMP player and the first data track. Then try with the 2nd.

Then zip up and send /conf and /logs folders to support@wowza.com. Include a link to download the file.

Include a link to this thread for refererence

Richard

Actually, we think it is a bug. A fix is checked-in already. I will let you know where there is a patch.

For your Module using the API to work, turn off the VODTimedTextProviders:
    <TimedText>
    	<!-- VOD caption providers (separate with commas): vodcaptionproviderttml, vodcaptionprovidersrt, vodcaptionprovidermp4_3gpp -->
    <VODTimedTextProviders></VODTimedTextProviders>
    And take a look at this article:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?460

Richard

Thanks, I'll just wait for the patch.

I tested it out in 3.5.2.02 build4123 from http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....lopment-Builds.

The first subtitle track is still the only one that's ingested by vodcaptionprovidermp4_3gpp regardless of the index set by MediaReaderH264.setTrackIndexData. Based on what I read in the patch notes, this is intended since the only change in behavior is if there is no caption provider.

How then am I supposed to select which embedded data stream is ingested by vodcaptionprovidermp4_3gpp? With video files I need to handle, I can't rely on the language codes mentioned in the captions documentation.
    Last edited by odrilon; 03-10-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast