Thread: Stream viewer count

Default Stream viewer count

Hi

I'm working on a video streaming site similar to justin.tv. I've set up a load balancer, origin server and two edge servers, which is all working great. My problem is how to get the viewer count of people watching each individual stream (not the connection count) from the edge servers? I was originally just using one server, and using a simple HTTPProvider to get the viewer count of each stream by calling getPlayStreamCount of the application instance.

Can you clarify this a bit? By "viewer count of people watching each individual stream" are you talking about how many times each stream has been viewed? as in the number of visitors to that stream over time? Or are you asking if there is a good solution to finding out the number of people watching a stream (such as -- is it just one person watching, or is there a family sitting around the computer watching the one stream, or even a large group of people)?

Hi David

I want to get the number of how many people are currently watching a stream at any one time. Not how many have watched the stream.

For instance let's say there's one person streaming to an origin server, and I have two edge servers. I need some way to keep track of how many people are watching the stream across the edge servers.

I've been playing around with HTTPUtils, IMediaStreamActionNotify3 and a HTTPProvider. Basically my idea is to use HTTPUtils in the onPlay and onStop events on each edge server to call a HTTPProvider, which will increment or decrement a custom viewers property on the stream object.

I'm not sure if this is the best approach though.

Take a look at the 2nd example at the bottom of this page:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....rs-to-a-stream

You can see how to get count per stream across client types.

Another approach might be to parse connectioncounts from each edge.
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....a-Media-Server

Richard

Hi Richard

I created a custom HTTPProvider for the edge servers that gets the stream play count. I then created another HTTPProvider on the orgin server and used jsoup to parse the play stream count from each edge server.

Thanks for the help.

Cool. Thanks for the update

Richard