Thread: Accumulating rtmp connections

Default Accumulating rtmp connections

Hi, i've noticed a few times wowza reporting accumulated cupertino connections before, but this is the first time it reporting accumulated rtmp connections(over 7000). I got some screen captures of jconsole before and after i stopped directing new connections. This is an edge server on windows 2008 r2 running on latest version of java in server mode.
    Each connection is about 1Mbps, and at max it usually tops at 1000 connections since it's got 1Gbps pipe. When I noticed this issue, the cache was full and it was cache miss was pretty high (i don't know if this is related). Servers are tuned to the performance tuning manual and default gc setting is used. Max heap is at 8000MB. Can you advise?

VM info

When I noticed overwhelming connections
    overview

connections

I stopped directing new connections to this edge server, after 15min connections decreases rapidly to 1600
    overview

connections

Here's the heap and threads difference

When hiccups in threads occurs, users get a short pause.

This is another server that's in normal condition. no hiccups in threads and about 900 connections.

Could it have been a denial of service attack? I have not heard of Wowza creating RTMP connections that are not initiated by an RTMP client.

Richard
    Last edited by rrlanham; 02-25-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    Could it have been a denial of service attack? I have not heard of Wowza creating RTMP connections that are not initiated by an RTMP client.

Richard
    hello

i'm facing a similar issue: while in my app i can see 200 personns connected to the same instance, the 8086:connectioncounts for this instance is 900/1000...this is of course overflooding my server. i was wondering about rtmp dos attack, how could we prevent this ?

thank you

How many devices we can connect with it?

You might look at updating your IPTables configuration to help combat DDOS attacks. Not a lot Wowza can do aside from rejecting the connections if they are detected.