Thread: What is my total-core-count? Help Please!

Question What is my total-core-count? Help Please!

Hi,

We're configuring one of our servers following Wowza Performance Tuning Guide, and we have a doubt I'd like your help with.

The Wowza servers we're running are actually Hyper-V machines with 4 processors.

Windows' Device Manager lists those CPUs as being Intel E5504. Having a look at that CPU model specs (here), I see that each of those processors have 4 Cores (and no HyperThreading).

So, doing the math, I should have 4 CPUs, with 4 Cores each. According to Wowza Performance Tuning Guide, I should set [total-core-count] to: 4 (processors) x 4 (cores each) = 16. Does that make sense?

What puzzles me is that, if I really had 16 cores, I should be seeing 16 CPUs on my Task Manager's Performance Tab. However, I only see 4...

Am I missing something? What is the actual value I should use as my total-core-count?

Thanks in advance!

Helder Conde

2. Default

It seems the machine in the screenshot has access to one processor with 4 cores, as the E5504 is a 4 core processor.

That makes sense... But look at the machine config screenshot below (taken from Hyper-V Manager). It does have 4 processors!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Helder Conde

Hi
    Looking at the picture I can see how it's misleading however a quad-core processor with no HyperThreading has a total or 4 cores available and you should tune Wowza based on only 4 cores being available.

Jason