Thread: Secure streaming using FlowPlayer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Secure streaming using FlowPlayer

I have to come up with a solution for secure streaming for the company I'm working for. I decided to choose Wowza 3.5.2 as the media server and FlowPlayer to access the videos. The Wowza Media Server is running on an Ubuntu 12.04 server. I followed the tutorial to set up Video On Demand. Everything works so far. I can access the videos with the FlowPlayer that are stored in the content folder.
    Now, I tried to use RTMPE with a secure token. Again I followed the tutorial to set up the module und properties. My Application.xml now looks like this:

<!-- Uncomment to set application level timeout values
    			StorageDir path variables
    			${com.wowza.wms.AppHome} - Application home directory
    			${com.wowza.wms.ConfigHome} - Configuration home directory
    			${com.wowza.wms.context.VHost} - Virtual host name
    			${com.wowza.wms.context.VHostConfigHome} - Virtual host config directory
    			${com.wowza.wms.context.Application} - Application name
    			${com.wowza.wms.context.ApplicationInstance} - Application instance name
    			<!-- LiveStreamPacketizers (separate with commas): cupertinostreamingpacketizer, smoothstreamingpacketizer, sanjosestreamingpacketizer, cupertinostreamingrepeater, smoothstreamingrepeater, sanjosestreamingrepeater, dvrstreamingpacketizer, dvrstreamingrepeater -->
    			<!-- Properties defined here will override any properties defined in conf/Streams.xml for any streams types loaded by this application -->
    			<!-- To turn on transcoder set to: transcoder -->
    			<!-- [templatename].xml or ${SourceStreamName}.xml -->
    			<!-- As a single server or as an origin, use dvrstreamingpacketizer in LiveStreamPacketizers above -->
    			<!-- Or, in an origin-edge configuration, edges use dvrstreamingrepeater in LiveStreamPacketizers above -->
    			<!-- As an origin, also add dvrchunkstreaming to HTTPStreamers below -->
    			<!-- To turn on DVR recording set Recorders to dvrrecorder.  This works with dvrstreamingpacketizer  -->
    			<!-- As a single server or as an origin, set the Store to dvrfilestorage-->
    			<!-- edges should have this empty -->
    			<!--  Window Duration is length of live DVR window in seconds.  0 means the window is never trimmed. -->
    			<!-- Storage Directory is top level location where dvr is stored.  e.g. c:/temp/dvr -->
    			<!-- valid ArchiveStrategy values are append, version, delete -->
    			<!-- If this is a dvrstreamingrepeater, -->
    			<!-- either define the general Application/Repeater/OriginURL below to point back to the origin -->
    			<!-- or define this one (which affects only DVR origin-edge).  e.g. http://localhost/dvrorigin -->
    			<!-- Properties for DVR -->
    			<!-- VOD caption providers (separate with commas): vodcaptionprovidermp4_3gpp, vodcaptionproviderttml, vodcaptionprovidersrt, vodcaptionproviderscc -->
    			<!-- Properties for TimedText -->
    		<!-- HTTPStreamers (separate with commas): cupertinostreaming, smoothstreaming, sanjosestreaming, dvrchunkstreaming -->
    			<!-- RTP/Authentication/[type]Methods defined in Authentication.xml. Default setup includes; none, basic, digest -->
    			<!-- RTP/AVSyncMethod. Valid values are: senderreport, systemclock, rtptimecode -->
    			<!-- Properties defined here will override any properties defined in conf/RTP.xml for any depacketizers loaded by this application -->
    					<!-- udp, interleave -->
    			<!-- Properties defined here will override any properties defined in conf/MediaCasters.xml for any MediaCasters loaded by this applications -->
    			<!-- Properties defined here will override any properties defined in conf/MediaReaders.xml for any MediaReaders loaded by this applications -->
    			<!-- Properties defined here will override any properties defined in conf/MediaWriter.xml for any MediaWriter loaded by this applications -->
    			<!-- Properties defined here will override any properties defined in conf/LiveStreamPacketizers.xml for any LiveStreamPacketizers loaded by this applications -->
    			<!-- Properties defined here will override any properties defined in conf/HTTPStreamers.xml for any HTTPStreamer loaded by this applications -->
    				<Description>Client Logging</Description>
    		<!-- Properties defined here will be added to the IApplication.getProperties() and IApplicationInstance.getProperties() collections -->
    The code from the FlowPlayer is as follows (I edited the Minimal Flowplayer setup that comes with the FlowPlayer tutorial):

<h1>Minimal Flowplayer setup</h1>
    		<p>View commented source code to get familiar with Flowplayer installation.</p>
    		<!-- this A tag is where your Flowplayer will be placed. it can be anywhere -->
    			 href="landscapes.mp4" class="player"
    		<!-- this will install flowplayer inside previous A- tag. -->
    		<script type="text/javascript">
    	flowplayer("wowza", "flowplayer-3.2.16.swf",
    			clip: {
    				provider: 'rtmp',
    				connectionProvider: 'secure'
    			plugins: {
    				rtmp: {
    				url: 'flowplayer.rtmp-3.2.12.swf',
    				netConnectionUrl: 'rtmp://'
    			secure: {
    				url: 'flowplayer.securestreaming-3.2.8.swf',
    				token: 'testpw'
    When I now open the FlowPlayer it gives me this error: 201, unable to load stream or clip file, connection failed, clip: [clip]landscapes.mp4
    What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure about this method, I have not tried it, but it is not very secure. The recommended way to use SecureToken is to re-compile the player from its source code with the token. For reference, take a look at this guide for doing this in JW Player:

It won't be exactly the same for Flowplayer, but it is essentially the same: modifying the NetStatusEvent handler. There is guidance here for re-compiling Flowplayer: