Thread: Multibitrate Smooth Streaming not stable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Multibitrate Smooth Streaming not stable

I have encoded some content in 12 different bit-rates in mp4 format with 2 sec chunks ranging to HD to SD content with Max bitrate as 6Mbps to lowest as 200kbps.

When i stream the content with silver-light player, the bit-rate fluctuates too much and it never reaches the highest bit-rate and maximum it has reached till 2 Mbps. I a not finding any network issue as the effective bandwidth of the network is more than 8Mbps so ideally anyhow it should play the highest bitrate of 6Mbps.

even if its playing with 2Mbps, its not stable at all and fluctuates randomly and very oftent from 600Kbps to 2Mbps.

Is there any configuration which can fix it or any hints which can me resolve this issue?

It sounds a like a very sketchy network connection, but that switching is working. Are you using Wowza Silverlight player example? Does the bit rates it reports in the UI match what you have set in system-bitrate?

Have you tried it in the Wowza FlashHTTPPlayer?

Maybe that is too many renditions that are too close together, i.e. too much switching. Or the network is so volatile that the player/Wowza can't switch fast enough.

Richard

I dont think its a sketchy network as its a isolated network of 9Mbps line speed but i dont know why the switching is happening as with HLS with the same content the same netowrk is able to play the 6Mbps content but its not the case with Smooth Streaming.

yeah, I am using the Wowza Silver light player example and I have also used the Vertigo test player and both results the same thing. Also, I have used the BWChecker example and it shows the stable output of 3Mbps line and there is no fluctuations in that but the bitrate of the stream is only fluctuating which is very strange.

Is the stream reachable? If so, send a link to support@wowza.com so we can try it. Include a link to this thread.

Richard

actually the stream is not reachable because its in a private network..

can you please tell me some tips to resolve this issue?

Is there any configuration which will limit the bitrate to some value?

I would try fewer renditions. Did you compare in the Flash HTTP player? And play in the Wowza Silverlight player and compare the bit rate it calculates compared to what you are putting in the smil.

And how are you encoding these files? Take a look at the constrained vbr settings in the Expression 4 encoder examples in this article:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....demand-content

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by nitinkumgoyal View Post
    I have encoded some content in 12 different bit-rates in mp4 format with 2 sec chunks ranging to HD to SD content with Max bitrate as 6Mbps to lowest as 200kbps.

When i stream the content with silver-light player, the bit-rate fluctuates too much and it never reaches the highest bit-rate and maximum it has reached till 2 Mbps. I a not finding any network issue as the effective bandwidth of the network is more than 8Mbps so ideally anyhow it should play the highest bitrate of 6Mbps.

even if its playing with 2Mbps, its not stable at all and fluctuates randomly and very oftent from 600Kbps to 2Mbps.

Is there any configuration which can fix it or any hints which can me resolve this issue?
    Not sure if this helps, but I had a very simillar problem in the past and I found that it wasn't the server, but the mp4 files were incorrectly encoded. Are you using by any chance ffmpeg with x264? The maxrate parameter for ffmpeg if used improperly with the averate -b:v parameter could create a maximum bitrate of 2Mb/s even if you specify maxrate of 6Mb. So perhaps you should check first whether your highest bitrate version file has really peaks of 6Mb/s not just 2Mb/s.