Wowza Community

wowza switch stream from low to hight when begin playing HLS on anroid 4.0 player

Dear you,

This time. i’m running wowza 3.5 trial for output HLS streaming. I config one smil file :

You can re-arrange the smil to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn’t, there is not a way to change the way the device switches.

Looking at the names of your files, they don’t look like different bit rate versions of the same video. Each video in an ABR set also has to be key frame aligned. Take a look at the Expression 4 Encoder pre-sets in this article.

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-encode-video-on-demand-content

Richard

thank for your reply, i re-arrange the smil file but client still play streaming from hight to low quality. My files is good for wozza , they has to be key frame aligned.

Hi,

The order of the streams in the playlist.m3u8 url should match the order in the smil file. You can confirm this by retrieving the playlist.m3u8 url in a browser and then opening the saved file in a text editor.

As Jason has mentioned, if changing the order does not help then it will be the player that is deciding which bitrate to play first. Wowza just presents a list of urls to the player. Wowza has no control over which url the player will actually request.

Roger.

Thanks for your reply, i order streams in smil file and it works fine, player choose low bitrate first. I dont think there is simple way to resolve this problem like that. Many thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi

If re-arranging the .smil file didn’t work then I’m afraid there’s probably no way to do it.

I’d say as a guess that it was designed to give you the best quality possible and as most clients would be using a higher bitrate i.e. from a broadband connection, that’s why it starts with the highest bitrate and works down.

Jason

Hi

That’s great, thanks for the update.

Jason

Hi,

The order of the streams in the playlist.m3u8 url should match the order in the smil file. You can confirm this by retrieving the playlist.m3u8 url in a browser and then opening the saved file in a text editor.

As Jason has mentioned, if changing the order does not help then it will be the player that is deciding which bitrate to play first. Wowza just presents a list of urls to the player. Wowza has no control over which url the player will actually request.

Roger.