Wowza Community

Experiences with nDVR, iOS and Android

Hi guys,

I’m currently using Wowza without nDVR. I use it to send a live stream to wowza and watch that live stream from multiple devices, platforms and browsers. I’m thinking in adding nDVR to my server to allow users to rewind, pause, and resume the live stream. But my main concern is that I’m not sure if this behavior is going to be correctly handled by the players I’m using…

For watching the video from:

• A website I use: Flash Media Playback Player

• Android device’s browser I use the html5 video tag with the rtsp://…com:1935/live/stream_name url if live or rtsp://…com:1935/vod/stream_name url if playing from vod

• iOS device’s browser I use the html5 video tag with the http://…com:1934/live/stream_name/playlist.m3u if live or http://…com:1935/vod/definst/playlist.m3u

• From an iOS app I’m using the player I’m using the MPMoviePlayerController with the same urls as in the previous dot.

Anyone knows if those players allow the user to rewind, pause and resume the live stream using the nDVR addOn?? How can I know if a player is compatible with those actions?

Thanks!!

Hi,

nDVR functionality is supported in Flash and iOS, however, it will not work with RTSP (Android). You may continue to use the same stream from an RTSP/Android device, however, you will need to omit the ?DVR query in the URL which will provide a “normal” stream without a time-shift capability.

I suggest you take a look at the Wowza DVR tutorial and note the instructions in the Playback section.

-Tim

Thanks! I really appreciate your help!

Hi,

nDVR functionality is supported in Flash and iOS, however, it will not work with RTSP (Android). You may continue to use the same stream from an RTSP/Android device, however, you will need to omit the ?DVR query in the URL which will provide a “normal” stream without a time-shift capability.

I suggest you take a look at the Wowza DVR tutorial and note the instructions in the Playback section.

-Tim