Thread: HLS encryption w/o module

Default HLS encryption w/o module

Hello,

We're interested in using Wowza to add AES-128 encryption to on-demand HLS. I've seen the following two pages:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?437
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ternal-method)

What I'm most interested in how how we can use a simple .key file and still have Wowza serve the key files. I noticed that in the .key file, we have to indicate the URL used to access the key file, meaning that if you wanted to use the .key file you would have to use the external method of serving the key files. Is that true? If not, what would we put in for the URL here?

I'm okay with Wowza returning requests for any key files, and over HTTP instead of HTTPS. We are going to have an nginx proxy server sit in front of wowza that will validate key requests as well as terminating SSL.

Thank you.

The internal method is easier, and the encryption is the same. The only reason to use the external method is to use your application server to do something like authentication.

Richard

Agreed - and I want to use the internal method, but how can I do that without using a module as outlined here: http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ernal-method)?

We have to specify a URL in the .key file. What do we put there if we are using Wowza to deliver the keys?

The only way I know is following that guide. Just configure as shown. Wowza handles the rest.

Richard

Richard, does AES-128 encryption work with SMIL files? I've been able to get it working with single MP4, but as soon as I add a smil file it doesn't work. I can get it working with Smooth Streaming DRM with a smil. I have 5 bit rates for VoD that I need protected, all with the same key

The encrypted streams will work in a smil. Don't try to encrypt the smil, there is no reason to and it won't work.

Richard

Interesting, because for Smooth Streaming PlayReady, we can indeed create a .key file for the SMIL and that works well. I'm not encrypting the smil, I'm trying to create a key file that will apply to all streams in the SMIL. Are you saying for HLS AES, I need to create a .key file for each of the individual VoD streams in the SMIL file?

It's not supported in Wowza at present. Seems like we have two threads on the same subject. I don't have any more info on this one.

Richard