Wowza Community

JVC GV-LS2 reviews / comments?

A client of mine was asking if the JVC GV-LS2 could be used for streaming directly to a media server like Wowza, but I haven’t seen anything in the docs that show a config working directly from the camera. The promo diagram on the JVC shows it needed a computer to connect to U-Stream. Has anyone tried this camera yet?

-Robert

It support h.264 Main profile. So it should work with Wowza. It does not seem to have h.264 Baseline profile, so it won’t work on some mobile devices without transcoding

Richard

Hello Patrick,

I got a notification of your post to this thread—by all means keep this thread active. The client I mentioned in my original post didn’t end up using this camera, mainly because of the A/V sync delay with the stream. Moreover, this camera uses MPEG-TS streams and doesn’t have direct RTSP access. I did some quick Google searches and found that one developer made a proxy to access the GV-LS2 (written in Java), and it’s briefly discussed here:

http://forum.vidblaster.com/showthread.php?t=4149

I have not tried this proxy nor do I have one of these cameras to test against, but it seems hopeful. Bottom line though is that this camera is not an easy camera to work with. If you have the ability to use a camera that has direct RTSP access, it will be much simpler to configure with Wowza.

HTH.

-Robert

Another thought too: Did you call JVC to ask about if RTSP is an option in a future firmware release? I find it really hard to believe that they built this camera without a real-time protocol to communicate over.

-Robert

Hi Richard, could you please expand on how this camera should work with Wowza? I just got one for our church but have yet to figure out how I could pull the mpeg stream directly from it into Wowza without going through the JVC software driver for Windows. Any help would be appreciated. (And, sorry for necroposting in this thread, but it’s the only one I found regarding this camera. We’re using Wowza 4.1.1.)

Thanks,

Patrick

It support h.264 Main profile. So it should work with Wowza. It does not seem to have h.264 Baseline profile, so it won’t work on some mobile devices without transcoding

Richard

Hi Robert,

I had seen that thread on VidBlaster, but haven’t yet tried it. One of the main purposes of getting a PTZ was to eliminate the need of a separate encoding computer. So, now we have to have a computer to send it to Wowza, and what’s worse is that the JVC software driver won’t work with FMLE or vMix. The only two programs that I’ve read will work with it properly are UStream’s Producer and Wireca$t.

Seems JVC really shot themselves in the foot with this one. It’s a shame, too, because this is really a great camera. I was well aware of the delay and wasn’t worried about that. Wasn’t sure if I could get Wowza to pull directly from it or not (looks unfortunate), but not being able to work with FMLE or vMix may do me in. I’ve always hated Wirecast’s interface and price tag.

Was thinking since JVC is a “works with Wowza” partner, there could be some hope, but it appears they’ve all but abandoned this camera. Sucks, 'cause I’m sure a firmware update could address several of these issues.

Thanks for co-misery-ating,

Patrick

Didn’t call, but e-mailed. Got the following response: "At this time there are no updates for the unit and there’s no mention of an update being released. If an update does get released it will be posted on the following link.

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/index.html "

Doesn’t sound promising.

I’m looking for a used or new JVC GV LS2 any help in finding one would be greatly appreciated

denspencer@hotmail.com Thanks Dennis

The JVC GV LS2 camera is worthless trash…called JVC and they kept passing me to different techs who had no idea what was going on…Im sure they started a case study from all the calls I made and simple questions that no one could answer…If you bought this trash hurry and get a refund ASAP…

Dennis I have a slightly used JVC GV LS2 camera that I bought and tried to figure out…And tried to figure out with JVC techs…The camera is barely used…only turned on and off…so if you are still interested email me at

dralbertanderson@yahoo.com