Wowza Community

Streaming from Teleste MPC-E1 ?

Greetings,

I am new to video streaming. I’m finding all the various containers and codecs very confusing.

I’m trying to set up live video streaming from a Teleste MPC-E1 video processor - http://www.teleste.com/sites/default/files/attachments/p4p_mpc-e1.pdf

I have Wowza installed on a test windows8 64-bit workstation and it appears to be working fine.

This workstation is currently on a network segment that has a direct route to the Teleste video server without any firewalls in between. I can receive and play the MPEG-4 stream with VLC.

I do not know how to connect to this stream with Wowza. Is this an RTMP-based encoder, a RTP encoder with SDP file or a MPEG-TS based encoder? I’ve tried all these tutorials, but obviously I’m missing something.

Casey

Casey,

It supports RTSP. But it says it supports mpeg-4 without specifying mpeg-4 part 10, which is h.264, and there is no mention of h.264 so it is probably mpeg-4 part 2, which is not generally supported in Wowza except as input to the Wowza Transcoder.

Are you playing the stream in VLC with rtsp url? What do you see in Tools > Codec info while the stream is playing?

Assuming it is not h.264 (AVC) you can use the Wowza Transcoder for the best results and ABR rendtions:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-set-up-and-run-wowza-transcoder-for-live-streaming

Or use VLC in between as a transcoder:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-use-vlc-as-a-live-stream-encoder-with-wowza-media-server-mpeg-ts

Richard

Hi Casey,

It sounds like your asking about the definition of the “encoder.” In this case, the encoder is your Teleste device.

-Tim

Hi Casey,

The best suggestion that I can provide is to estimate the scale of your audience and contrast that with your available network resources. For example if you’re streaming to mobile, I would suggest experimenting with a 250-500 kbps stream using a baseline profile and a 3-4 second keyframe setting. On the other hand, if you want to stream some high definition, large, media rich streams to users on your LAN, where bandwidth is not an issue, try a higher 1500-2000 kbps setting. use the main or high profile (if available). Really, it comes down to achieving the optimal quality you desire within the constraints of the bandwidth you have available for each stream. I encourage you to experiment with these settings in an effort to identify an optimal setting. Please feel free to ask any related questions you may have here.

-Tim

Here is the url used to connect with vlc: http://10.254.41.101/sdp/mpu001_ch2_dest0.sdp

Here is the vlc codec info:

Stream 0

Type: Video

Codec: MPEG-4 Video (mp4v)

Resolution: 353x240

Frame rate: 30

Decoded format: Planar 4:2;0 YUV

Looking further at the tech specs it says the output is MPEG-4 part 2.

I’ll go read the transcoder links now…

OK, I’ve got to step 5 [Start Wowza Media Server] (which worked fine) but I don’t know which of the following tutorials to follow next:

With this setup, you can now follow one of the following live streaming tutorials to further modify [install-dir]/conf/live/Application.xml and then send a stream from your encoder to Wowza Media Server for transcoding:

How to set up live streaming using an RTMP-based encoder

How to set up live streaming using an RTSP/RTP based encoder

How to publish and play a live stream (MPEG-TS based encoder)

How to set up live streaming using a native RTP encoder with SDP file

How to re-stream video from an IP camera (RTSP/RTP re-streaming)

How to do basic server-side publishing with Stream class streams

FYI - I had to change the following in the application.xml file:

Set the Transcoder/LiveStreamTranscoder value to:

Code:

transcoder

If the incoming stream is MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 Part 2 video and requires transcoding to H.264 and AAC for delivery to supported player technologies such as Adobe® Flash® Player, Apple® iOS devices, and Microsoft® Silverlight®, set the Transcoder/Templates value to:

Code:

${SourceStreamName}.xml,transcode.xml

[was ${SourceStreamName}.xml,transrate.xml ]

restart wowza

Thanks,

Casey

Hi Richard,

Assuming from your earlier comment that RTSP is correct, working from “How to set up live streaming using an RTSP/RTP-based encoder

I’ve gotten to:

"Publishing the stream

In your encoder, enter the following information and then click the Publish or Start button:

Host Address: [wowza-ip-address]:1935

Stream Name: live/myStream.sdp

Note: The steps for publishing a stream from your encoder to Wowza Media Server will vary depending on the encoder being used. For more information about how to configure your encoder, see Specific Encoding Technologies in the Wowza forum or the documentation for your encoder."

but I didn’t see anything that looked like it applied. Is the encoder referred to above (“In your encoder…”) wowza or my Teleste device?

Casey

Thanks Tim, for clarifying that.

For your information, here is the link to Teleste’s web page for the encoder we are using -http://www.teleste.com/products/video-surveillance/ip-edge-devices/mpc-e1

I now see in it’s GUI (also on page 23 on the user manual, linked above) where I can set stream name and destination address, so I will try that first thing Monday. Are there any ‘best practices’ or guidelines for ‘bitrate’ and ‘framerate’ ?

Casey