Thread: Multicast stream file

Default Multicast stream file

Hi

I would like to multicast a file. I've multicasted fine using a live stream and also setup video on demand. We need to record the live stream and then multicast stream out.

Is this possible ?

thanks

Paul

Paul,

You can stream the file as a live stream, and push that out to multicast. One easy way to use a file as source for a live stream is this scheduler:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....rver-listener)

Richard

Hi Richard

Many thanks. I've setup as per the link above and although it connects when I use the Wowza example, I get the following response below from the server, which I think looks good apart from the fact nothing gets displayed in my test client, even though it connects to the Stream1 stream.

I'm using the developer licence and the multicast add on. Does that cause any problems?

thanks

Paul

INFO application app-start _definst_ live/_definst_
    INFO server comment - ServerListenerStreamPublisher: Streame name is 'Stream1'
    INFO stream create - -
    INFO server comment - ModuleMulticastPublish.onStreamPublish[live/_definst_]: St
    ream1
    INFO stream publish Stream1 -
    INFO server comment - scheduled playlist: Stream1 on stream: Stream1 for:Mon May
    13 11:35:00 BST 2013
    INFO server comment - Stream.switch[live/_definst_/Stream1]: index: 0 name:confe
    rence.f4v start:5 length:-1
    INFO server comment - ServerListenerStreamPublisher Scheduled stream is now live
    : Stream1
    INFO server comment - ServerListenerStreamPublisher Scheduled: Stream1 for: 2013
    -05-13 11:35:00
    INFO server comment - Wowza Media Server is started!
    WARN server comment - MediaReaderFLV.open: Metadata appears to be bad: Stream1
    INFO server comment - ServerListenerStreamPublisher PlayList Item Start: confere
    nce.f4v
    INFO server comment - ModuleMulticastPublish.startStream[live/_definst_/Stream1]
    : {RTPDestination: name: "stream1", audio: 224.0.52.5:30000, video: 224.0.52.5:3
    0000, ttl: 63, isRTPWrapped: true}
    INFO stream create - -
    INFO stream play Stream1 -
    INFO rtsp connect 960846236 -
    INFO stream create - -
    INFO stream unpublish - -
    INFO server comment - ModuleMulticastPublish.onStreamUnPublish[live/_definst_]:

INFO stream destroy - -
    INFO rtsp disconnect 960846236 -
    INFO rtsp connect 78722701 -
    INFO stream create - -
    INFO rtsp describe 78722701 -
    INFO stream unpublish - -
    INFO server comment - ModuleMulticastPublish.onStreamUnPublish[live/_definst_]:

WARN server comment - MediaReaderFLV.open: Metadata appears to be bad: Stream1
    This means the StreamType is "default". It should be "live"

Richard

Hi

Thanks for your help in this.

In the end, I put mp4: in front of my file and that worked. The StreamType is live in wowza\applications\live\application.xml. I'm assuming this is correct?

kind regards

Paul

Hi Richard

Would you expect Wowza to be able to schedule stream a 478Mb file also using multicast? We are finding smaller files like 42Mb and 375Mb work but a larger file of 478Mb does not work. The 478Mb file plays in VLC player and VOD using your test RTMP page

kind regards

Paul

Paul,

If it plays as vod in RTMP player it will play as a live stream using the scheduler. The file size doesn't matter in streaming, what matters is bitrate and audio & video codecs

When you playback the file directly in VLC, what codec info is displayed in Tools > Codec info.

What is the bitrate? The average bitrate of a file is: size on disk in bytes * 8 / duration = bps

Richard