Thread: MediaReaderH264 and RTSP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MediaReaderH264 and RTSP

Hi @all,

our Wowza Streaming server currently shows a strange behavior when we try to playback a file via RTSP.
    Let's say, I open VLC and enter a network stream URL like rtsp://

Then, VLC gives me an error stating "nothing to play for url..."
    When I look into the wowza error look, I see an error message like

WARN	server[1]: D:\Wowza Media Systems\Wowza Media Server 3.1.2\content\applicationdir\video.mp4 (The system cannot find the file specified)
    Actually, the video file exists and is placed at D:\Wowza Media Systems\Wowza Media Server 3.1.2\content\applicationdir\subdirectory\video.mp4.
    The StorageDir for the Application is configured to ${com.wowza.wms.context.VHostConfigHome}/content/applicationdir

It seems like the MediaReaderH264 ignores the specified subdirectory and simply tries to load the video file from the application root.

When I try the same thing via RTMP, everything works fine.
    When I try the same thing via RTSP and with the URL I]rtsp://[/I] it also works.

We currently use Wowza server version 3.1.2.

I think it already worked as expected in the past before we upgraded our Wowza server, so I assume this is a custom configuration issue.
    But I do not know where to start my analysis. How can I best isolate the reason for this behavior and solve the issue.

Thanks in advance

Hi Andre, in order to playback a file in a subdirectory you need to use an application instance, so you need to add _definst_ to the url

like this: rtsp://

Hi Salvadore,

arrgh ... yes, you're right. That was the mistake.

Works like a charme. Thanks for the immediate reply.