Thread: Re-Streaming RTMP

Default Re-Streaming RTMP

I am trying to re-stream an RTMP URL (which works in VLC just fine), format is this:

Should I be using the content/ method:

in the StartupStreams.xml for this VHost, and put the rtmp:// URL in the .stream file? Or should I be setting this up like a liverepeater edge deal? I am a bit confused. Thanks in advance!

You have to use MediaCaster type "liverepeater" in this case. But if that is a protected FMS stream, it won't work. Take a look at this guide:

Thanks for the fast reply. Okay, I set it up just like that.

When I try and play from wowza using VLC, like this:

rtsp://<wowza ip>:<my port>/live/

It pops up a dialog asking for "RTSP authentication" - "Please enter a valid login name and password"

Not sure if that has to do with it being a protected stream (I am not sure if it is). The way they are streaming, it seems like they themselves are also using wowza.

You can set the Application.xml /RTP /Authentication /Play to "none". Or you can set it to "basic" and provide the usrename password inline like this: rtsp://richard:myPwd@<wowza ip>:<my port>/live/

Last edited by rrlanham; 05-22-2013 at 07:12 PM.

In Application.xml, I set them both to none, restarted the vhost, but still get the auth popup...

<!-- RTP/Authentication/[type]Methods defined in Authentication.xml. Default setup includes; none, basic, digest -->

Now, if I change this (not sure if I needed this, from another guide):

<OriginURL>rtmp://<path to stream></OriginURL>

I had OriginURL set to the rtmp:// stream before, but if I set it to empty, the stream stops working altogether.

Actually, it was just the PlayMethod that needs to be "none" in your case, and it is by default. Are you doing this in /conf/live/Application.xml

Now I am, I copied my conf/Application.xml to conf/live/Application.xml and restarted the vhost. Same issue.

Edit: Maybe Wowza doesn't understand the "&email=blah&password=pass123" part that I have on the rtmp:// in That could be why...
    Last edited by deviantlinux; 05-22-2013 at 07:40 PM.

I thought that was part of the re-streaming URL, and that that part was working?

You can put a querystring at the end of a rtsp url. It doesn't cause that problem, I was sure but tested anyway.

Is it still a problem? If so, re-start Wowza, start the origin stream, and test playback in VLC. Then zip up and send /conf and the current access log showing the re-start and test to

Include a link to this thread for reference.

Thank you. I sent the email with the requested info.