Wowza Community

Re-Streaming RTMP

I am trying to re-stream an RTMP URL (which works in VLC just fine), format is this:

rtmp://:1935/live?email=someemail@gmail.com&password=pass123456/25.stream

Should I be using the content/restream.stream method:

live/definst

rtp

restream.stream

in the StartupStreams.xml for this VHost, and put the rtmp:// URL in the .stream file? Or should I be setting this up like a liverepeater edge deal? I am a bit confused. Thanks in advance!

Ryan

You have to use MediaCaster type “liverepeater” in this case. But if that is a protected FMS stream, it won’t work. Take a look at this guide:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-re-stream-an-unprotected-stream-from-adobe-media-server-or-a-cdn

Richard

You can set the Application.xml /RTP /Authentication /Play to “none”. Or you can set it to “basic” and provide the usrename password inline like this: rtsp://richard:myPwd@:/live/rtmp.stream

Richard

Actually, it was just the PlayMethod that needs to be “none” in your case, and it is by default. Are you doing this in /conf/live/Application.xml

Richard

I thought that was part of the re-streaming URL, and that that part was working?

You can put a querystring at the end of a rtsp url. It doesn’t cause that problem, I was sure but tested anyway.

Is it still a problem? If so, re-start Wowza, start the origin stream, and test playback in VLC. Then zip up and send /conf and the current access log showing the re-start and test to support@wowza.com

Include a link to this thread for reference.

Richard

Thanks for the fast reply. Okay, I set it up just like that.

When I try and play from wowza using VLC, like this:

rtsp://:/live/rtmp.stream

It pops up a dialog asking for “RTSP authentication” - “Please enter a valid login name and password”

Not sure if that has to do with it being a protected stream (I am not sure if it is). The way they are streaming, it seems like they themselves are also using wowza.

In Application.xml, I set them both to none, restarted the vhost, but still get the auth popup…

none

none

Now, if I change this (not sure if I needed this, from another guide):

rtmp://

I had OriginURL set to the rtmp:// stream before, but if I set it to empty, the stream stops working altogether.

Now I am, I copied my conf/Application.xml to conf/live/Application.xml and restarted the vhost. Same issue.

Edit: Maybe Wowza doesn’t understand the “&email=blah&password=pass123” part that I have on the rtmp:// in rtmp.stream? That could be why…

Thank you. I sent the email with the requested info.