Thread: Record a stream in multiple bit rates

Question Record a stream in multiple bit rates

I am transcoding an incoming stream into three different bit rates and streaming them live. At the same time, I also want to save them in different three bit rates for vod.

So, I have below queries:

1. Do I have to record each three transcoded stream separately to record for different bit rates?
    2. Or, is there any way to use only a single stream and record them in multiple bitrates?
    3. How can I record the three mutliple stream at a same time, programmatically, so that all the multiple bit rates video will carry same content.
    4. Or, is there a way to store a video in max bit rate and while doing vod provide a way to select the bit rate as desired.

Please tell, if there is any better way to achieve this.

Thanks in Advance

The easiest way is to make the Application.xml /StreamType "live-record". Note that each of the live streams must be key frame aligned for switching to work for the live ABR stream or the resultant vod ABR stream. You can check key frame alignment in the live streams by following this guide:

The best way to do this is using the Wowza Transcoder to transrate one source stream into 3 bitrate renditions, that will always be key frame aligned. This also reduces the load on the encoder network connection.