Wowza Community

Hardware requirements for transcoding 25 channels

I know there are several forum posts and articles about this subject, but I need some help in making a correct calculation. We’ve got 25 incoming channels with bitrates that vary from 10 to 30 Mbps. We’ll need transcoding and transrating to 3 (h.264) streams per channel, approx. 2500, 1500, 800Kbps. I don’t think there’s any server who can handle this on its own, but how many servers would we need and what specs?

Have you seen this Transcoder Performance Benchmark article?

https://www.wowza.com/docs/wowza-transcoder-performance-benchmark

This can give you at least a rough idea by comparison.

Richard

Yes I’ve read that document, but 26 x 30Mbps is quite different than 10 x 3Mbps. Now I’m thinking of a hardware transcoder rather than letting Wowza do the transcoding; does that sound like a better solution to you too?

did you found any answer? wowza only provide a benchmark and always refer to it. i had setup a system as follow and only can transcode 6 mpeg2 stream to 12 h264. however according wowza benchmark it must transcode 6 to 24. I tried all performance tuning. when i set the 6 to 24, cpu and gpu usage drop down to 10-20% and only audio can play back.

ram: 8 gb

cpu: core i7 2600k 4 core/8 thread

gpu: gtx 680

use cuda transcoding

please share any experiences.

Yes I’ve read that document, but 26 x 30Mbps is quite different than 10 x 3Mbps. Now I’m thinking of a hardware transcoder rather than letting Wowza do the transcoding; does that sound like a better solution to you too?